1 year Body transformation from skinny to less skinny :)

savvy41716

Hi guys :)

This is my first post on this sub, but I have been reading it regularly for advice on my own training.

I just wanted to show you guys how I have progressed in the past year of exclusively bodyweight training. For reference:

Before: 1.83m 71kg 16 years old After: 1.86m 75kg 17 years old

I've always been a fit person, having played sports like Field hockey, football (Soccer) my whole life, but I always lacked upper body strength. At the start of my journey, I could only do 5 dodgy form push ups, and couldn't even do a pull up.

I started how most do, doing push ups, australian pull ups/inverted rows, pull up negatives, that sort of thing. I always had strong legs because I was a leg day addict in the past, so I learnt the pistol squat pretty quickly, within a month.

I did progress pretty well in the first 3 months, got up to 8 pull ups, 13 dips approximately, learnt the L-sit, but lost motivation pretty quickly because I wrongly believed that I was 'too good'.

Yes

I just said that.

But around january of this year I got back into training hard, running A PPL, PPC split every week (Push , Pull, Legs) (Push, Pull, Cardio).

Things were going well, and then Covid came and kinda messed things up, but I saw this as an opportunity to push things and work even harder. I invested in a pair of gymnastics rings and saw this as a chance to take things to a new level. Like most starting out on rings, I struggled majorly, but I eventually adapted, and am now performing some sort of advanced exercises.

I did find it difficult to progress on statics mainly because of my height, but I managed to make some decent progress

To show you how I have progressed overall:

Start:

0 pull ups

5 Push ups

1 dip

No-sit

0 pistol squats

Absolutely 0 iron cross

Absolutely 0 Back lever

1 year later:

1rm 35kg weighted pull up

1 RTO archer push up each side

1rm 48kg weighted dip

Long af l-sit

5 reps 22kg weighted pistol squat each leg

Ring assisted iron cross 5 seconds

Straddle Back lever 7 seconds

If you've read all of this, you have no life, just kidding haha, but thank you if you have read all of this. This sub-reddit has helped me immensely, especially advice from @fromgenesistorevelation ,

@deborah123, and countless others.

I really hope this has motivated you that you can change yourself and your body immensely in just a year. I will attach a link to my transformation on YouTube if you'd like to take a look at it :)

My diet:

Breakfast: Oats boiled in water with chia seeds, mixed frozen berries, cinnamon (sometimes might add a scoop of protein powder if I feel like it but I usually don't)

Lunch: Usually a ham or chicken sandwich

Dinner: A one-pan meal of a protein source (usually prawns, chicken, ham, lean beef), potatoes, carrots, lentils or chickpeas or another vegan protein source, mixed in with vegetable stock and tomato puree.

Snack (Usually late at night or some time during the day):

One of: Popcorn, greek yoghurt, protein bar, my homemade ice cream, homemade healthy brownies.

I eat clean most of the time, and cook pretty much all my meals myself, using largely low calorie ingredients, so I would use little olive oil, wouldn't use added sugar etc.

For my 'unhealthy meals' like homemade ice cream, I would use low-cal ingredients to create something like a litre of ice cream for 400 calories or something like that.

Thanks guys x

@soikeobongda24h Thanks bud :)

I know what you mean, the before picture wasn't exactly the best.
But no, my upper body strength was genuinely horrific. Could only do 5 push ups and the form was awful. My arms were really really small, and my chest and back had absolutely no muscle. The stronger a muscle is, the bigger it is usually, and I was incredibly weak, and had no muscle.
I had the 'skinny-fat' amount of muscle without the fat part.
Hope that answered your question

@ephy If you don't have a pull up bar you can always use a sturdy tree branch or something like that. Although I would recommend trying to invest in a doorway pull up bar!

@ephy If your doorframes support it, get a cantilever type. The extendable ones are terrible and will destroy your door - and your legs when they break and drop you onto the floor.

@ephy A pull-up bar isn't really something you want to cheap out on, but here are a few good choices.

One

Two

Three

The third one I sent you is much nicer but it's out of your price range. If you can find one with that design for cheaper, I highly recommend it.

These types of bars are more sensitive to doorframe style, so make sure to measure all your frames carefully.

@ephy I have one like the ones he recommended. I bought mine for £10 off ebay. Pretty decent so far, although have only had it around 5 weeks. I only weigh 45kg though so I'm not sure. My dad uses it occasionally, it does support his weight, but bends a bit in the middle. Overall, it is fine for people who are light but will bend a bit if you are normal sized. The bending doesn't really make a difference though

Back