[25 F - Looking for help jumping back into WFPB diet and exercise routine] HELP CALCULATING PROTEIN AMOUNT! :D

hunter333

Hi everyone,

Recently I had quite a few major life events happen. I haven't lifted in about a month [mentally and physically feel like shit]. I know I have lost strength, size (although not a considerable amount), and definition. In addition, my nutrition has not been at its best.

I need to get back into my routine and am extremely disappointed in myself, but have tried to be patient, loving and understanding, that I needed to keep myself able to function on a daily basis. To start off I would like to return back to tracking my macros. My appetite has been suppressed and although I have been eating healthy relatively most of the time...there are quite a few times where I have not been eating healthy. I have been fluctuating between maintaining my weight and having lost weight - no more than 3 pounds. I would like to return to maintenance calories if that is suggested. If anybody thinks since I have relatively been in maintenance, if I can just go into lean bulking....ideally I would like to.

My stats are weight: 110 pounds, height 5'2, age: 25, activity level: has been none lately except walking, but usually i am in the gym 5 days a week lifting - 7 days total for cardio/rest day stretching and mobility.

Current macros for protein are about 75g and if suggested should be or stay at 30%? Carbs and fats would be calculated accordingly. This amount seems low for what I have normally eaten, granted I am fully transitioning to a WFPB diet.

Questions
1.) Should I utilize maintenance macros or bulking?
2.) For either one, what should my protein content be looking like? Before I was doing about 2g/kg of body weight with the max being I was taking in 120g of protein. I want to maximize the protein I am eating without overeating, since I know after a certain point that it really does not matter. I am trying to not put too much on my kidneys, no preexisting health conditions but just for long term concern.

I appreciate and value any and all advice! Those who also have experience in nutrition/personal training your input would also be greatly appreciated. This time point in my life where life took a shit on me really killed me. Between sudden family member death, major relationship struggles, work and work issues, family problems, etc. fitness and nutrition have not been on the forefront. Its a huge passion of mine which is why I am so disappointed. Looking for some support to weigh in and help me out

@hunter333 Sorry to hear about the issues you've had recently ;-;

I'd probably recommend you just eat at maintenance calories in the beginning as you're getting back into your routine and readjusting to it once again. Also, don't just jump right back full speed to the weights you were using before, take it a bit slowly so you don't hurt yourself or anything. And once you reacclimate to your routine again, you could start a lean bulk.

As for protein, most of the research I've seen says that 1.6g/kg of lean body mass is about the optimal amount. Anything more than that doesn't really help, and eating way too much protein isn't great for your kidneys in the long term. Since you're 110lbs, if we assume you're 15% body fat (just as an example), that's 93.5lbs (42.5kg) of lean body mass, so your protein requirements would be about 68g/day. Even if we round up to say 1.6g/kg of total body weight, that works out to 80g/day. So if you're getting close to these amounts, you'll be just fine. 👍

@evilbeans @matman2424

Good looking out! I thought that doing maintenance cals and then bulking would be the best idea and appreciate the assurance! I definitely do not want to get excited and injure myself (as I’ve been lucky that I haven’t had any thus far!). I’m willing to take my time and listen to my body, which is why I want to properly nourish it and not overindulge in my protein. The ultimate goal aside from aesthetics is for longevity and the ability to keep doing physical activity as long as I possibly can. My health and strength is first and foremost and I don’t think enough young people take care of themselves, keeping longevity in mind. Aesthetics is the cherry on top.

This may be me being a newbie - Is there a particular reason as to why on the WFPB, less protein is consumed? Aside from the whole paradigm in fitness that we need essentially our body weight in protein - which I believed at one point - Or is it due to the quality of protein even tho certain BCAA’s may need to be obtained through other sources on the WFPB diet?

Appreciate your input a lot! 😄

@hunter333 No problem at all! It sounds like you're on the right track. :) And it's not really a WFPB specific reason, it's just that more recently a lot of research has debunked the age-old claims that you "absolutely need" 1g of protein per pound of body weight to build muscle. You also don't really need to bother with BCAAs or other "sports performance" supplements, they're mostly a waste of time. As long as get close to the requirements I mentioned, and you eat a well-balanced varied diet, you'll be set.

@evilbeans
most of the research I've seen says that 1.6g/kg of lean body mass is about the optimal amount. Anything more than that doesn't really help, and eating way too much protein isn't great for your kidneys in the long term.

I am fine with 1.6 g/kg LBM but your second statement is not accurate. We have quite a bit of research showing benefits beyond that and there is no evidence that high protein diets are detrimental to healthy kidneys.

@hunter333 Good work getting back into it, sorry you’ve had a rough patch

Honestly, right now what’s most important is to get back into the routine. Try not to get too caught up in the details. Take care of the big picture stuff which is building consistency, and from there you can buckle down on managing your macros.

I’m a proponent of eating a colorful diet, and eating quality foods that have a solid amount of protein. So rather than saying “I need to hit exactly 120g of protein!” Just make sure each meal is well balanced. Quality proteins, quality grains, some fruits earlier in the day, some vegetables in your heavier grainy meals. Focus on giving your body high quality fuel. You’ll operate at a high level which will allow you to get the most out of your gym time.

Have you watched “The Game Changers” yet? It’ll help you get fired up and maybe change your perspective on what your body needs.

@puma150 Thank you for your advice and taking time out for
responding :D I was watching game changers and unfortunately right when I was going to start again was right when I thought I had reprieve from these events. It was incredibly motivating to watch! I’ll definitely make sure that I am building the consistency of making sure there is good variety of colors in each meal. I think that has been one of my challenges!

Appreciate it again, thank you! 😁

@matman2424 Got it! Do you happen to have any studies you’ve seen specifically? I’m a research junkie 😅 Happens when you do it for a living.