57M wanting to get fit

unclemendy

Hi, all. 57M in Chicago feeling my age. Never been big into working out, so have let my body slide for too many years.

In April, I started walking 10k steps per day and have lost 15 pounds. Trying to modify my diet by eating less. And started hatha yoga which is hard but feels good afterwards.

Thinking of finding a gym and trainer, especially since I don’t want to injure myself. Maybe a trainer who deals with men in their 50s & 60s.

Anyway, thanks for this sub. I’m already inspired and looking to learn from y’all.

@unclemendy I like your strategy for a trainer. My. advice is to consider any injuries you may have had over the years, especially to your joints. There could be imbalances that may mean you cannot use certain machines. That was my experience. I started with a trainer at age 59m. I had four sessions with a trainer and got injured twice. I’ve resumed and have not hurt myself since. I also no longer use a trainer. I get my advice from a physiotherapist and some great YouTube videos that I bet through the therapist.

Slow, steady, and thoughtful is my approach.

@unclemendy 54 here! Everyday workouts keep things oiled. You won’t regret it. You are off to a great start! Progress way slower than you think you need. Injury prevention is key.

If I take a week off for vacation or something, I knock the weight way back to get acclimated again.

You could start increasing your walking intensity. Outside walk like you have a purpose with abs tucked tight, posture straight, shoulder blades tucked back. If on a treadmill start adding inclines. If in an apartment start doing stairs.

If you want to try some other yoga check out Adriene 30-days free

Any good gym will have training classes too.
Go for it!

@unclemendy Same boat as you. Long time runner but career kids and health issues have me out of shape and overweight.

I’m doing a mix of walk/jog, weights, and rucking (25-30 lbs in backpack). Diet is next challenge. Still eating like a marathoner.

@unclemendy I'm 53. I've been working with a trainer for three months and have more muscle now than I ever did in my 20s. I highly recommend it to get you started.

There are great YouTube videos for self workouts as well. Search fitness over 50 and you'll find a lot. I bought adjustable dumbells and a bench and started from there. But having someone correct your form and push you harder but safely will take you to a new level.

As for diet, make sure you are eating clean and getting your macronutrients. Protein is king.

Good luck!

@unclemendy 63 here.. Joined a gym that had a 6 week circuit class as a way to get me started and make me show up. Just over 5 months now so it's taken a good hold on my way of life which is what will make it a lifestyle for the longer term. Now adding weight training.

May I also suggest the Loseit app for food tracking and join the /r/CICO sub...

And as a former Chicagoland person.. The bears suck so hard! Sorry.