A few questions regarding an U/L body split and splits in general

bonnie1202

So Ive been doing the RR for only 3 months-I had some strength before and I progressed fast,diamonds push ups-->50cm lean PPPUs,4 pull ups to weighted etc....I want to say that I wasnt a complete beginner to start with- but the total time is getting out of hand(~2 hours,not just the strength part but the total workout.warmup,skills,rehab after) and I would like to move to an Upper/Lower split twice a week with a rest day inbetween--> U/L, rest , U/L or U/L, rest , L/U. I'll talk about that later on.

My stats are: 19M,187cm,67kg. Would like to gain ~8kg and not gain any more height ,I think my development is kinda over either way ;)

My goals are to gain strength and muscle.Regarding skills: BL, FL, 20s Handstand.

Upper body:
Warmup: RR warmup +1 skin the cat to warmup for BL.

First set: Tuck BL 3 sets of 10+sec holds

Pair 1: 4-5 sets Weighted Pull ups + Ring Dips

Pair 2: 4-5 sets PPPU + either 1 arm ring rows(afraid of injury) or tucked FL rows in rings(can do 3-4 but my form is questionable).

Maybe adding some ring bicep curls to strengthen my biceps to prevent injuries in RTO and 1 arm rows.

Streching

Lower:
Warmup:Leg Warmup I learned when I was doing Muay Thai + RR wrist warmup and shoulder discolates.

Skill training: Handstand ~10 min

Pair 1: 3 sets Pistol Squats + Lsit progressions

Pair 2: 3 sets Shrimp squats + Pike Compressions(I am trying to work my weak spots and help my Lsit so I added it)

Core triplet. Usually I do hanging leg raises,ring pallof press and arch holds.

Streching
  1. I know I have a lot of volume in my upper body days but I made it that way so I can counter the lowered frequency. Before it would be 3x a week and 9 total sets,now its 2x a week and 8-10 total sets. I could also alter between the pairs. 1 day 5 sets of Pair 1 and 4 sets of Pair 2 and alter it every other session.People doing splits how much volume do you do/is recommended to do?
  2. Do you prefer UL UL or UL LU? The second one gives you better rest in upper body considering the increased volume. Do you think its overthinking or I would be fine with doing the classic UL rest UL ?
  3. Can I add german hangs for time in my upper body warmup or is it better to do german hangs as a streching after the workouts?
  4. Achieving BL,FL is a big goal for me.Do you find this routine a good way to achieve them or should I do something more specific? I tried to build a routine for both muscle mass and skills.
  5. Last but not least,How you progress when you do 5 sets? Achieving 5x8-12? Isnt it a bit too much?
*I posted it from mobile,if format is fucked up I'll fix it as soon as I sit in a computer.

@bonnie1202 I prefer upper lower WAY more than full body. You don’t have to be in the gym all day but you also get more time to work each part with a wider range of exercises.
  1. Your volume is fine. Honestly I don’t think people even need 9 sets in the beginning to make gains. The RR could have the 3rd day as a Delia’s and people would be fine. Or not even have a third day. You’ll make gains still.
  2. I prefer upper lower rest upper lower.
  3. I would do it as a stretch after.
  4. Maybe put some FL work in there with those 3 sets of BL.
  5. I think of it like this. Can you make gains off less work? If yes, do less. Then later when you NEED more sets, add it in. But until then, do the least and think long term.

@jermyn Regarding the fifth question,if I move to a split then I would do 4-5 sets. Do you say that I can progress at 3x8 regardless if I do 4-5 total sets or to just do 3 sets even if I am doing a split?

@jermyn The thing is I am leaning to a split to save time. I am already doing 9 sets a week so I wouldnt want to lower because now I am used to it and making progress.

@jermyn Yeah, me too. My upper body session is similar to yours and RR and it usually lasts up to 1.5h. If I would do BB squats on the same day, I wouldn't be able to give it my all and sessions would last up to 2hours or more. So I do 3x upper body like RR without squats, but I squat 1-2x per week on in between days.

@bellaaa Yup that’s more alone the lines of what I like as well! Training for that long is hard in itself. Two hours would be insane haha.

I also thought of doing normal volume in upper day(3 sets) and doing an U/L/U/L/U split. 3x upper and 2x lower+skill. That seems a better solution for progressing easier but the rest would be weird if you consider core muscles wouldnt get any rest.

Basically the RR with skills,legs and core triplet in a seperate day