A new way I’ve structured my workouts to remain consistent while allowing for some flexibility in my routine

yoan

I have ADHD and find it very hard to stick to a workout routine that is just A day, B day, etc. I also go to a crowded gym which often leaves me waiting for machines with programs like that.

So what I’ve done for the past couple months that has been working really well for me is this:

I have a “suggested” program which is just the usual A, B, C, D four day split. I have the full list of each day and its exercises in front of me when I go to the gym.

Each of my days is anchored with one “big lift” which I try to stick to, like deadlift, hip thrust, or squat. So I do that first, but beyond that I have free reign to deviate from day A and do something from day B or C instead if a machine is taken or if I really just don’t feel like doing whatever is on day A that day. I just mark off whatever I actually ended up doing from the full week’s list of sets, and try to accomplish 4-5 exercises each gym day so I can make it through everything by the end of the week. I try not to do stuff like kill my quads 2 days in a row, but if I end up overlapping a couple things it’s not a big deal as long as I’m not too sore. So the last workout of the week ends up being a mashup of whatever’s left and that’s fine because then I usually have 2 rest days.

This has really helped me remain consistent and let go of that “all or nothing” mentality of having exactly the perfect prescribed workout each time. I can take an extra rest day, end early, or do more one day if I’m feeling really strong. I just need to make sure I get all the planned sets done each week, and beyond that I don’t worry about how well I stuck to the prescribed stuff for that day.

I know a lot of people preach a strict and “consistent” routine to see progress, but this is the most consistent I’ve been in years even if maybe it’s not technically the most efficient for muscle growth and recovery. It allows me to listen to my body more week to week which has been really nice. I’m sure this method is not groundbreaking and possibly just common sense, but it has actually been pretty groundbreaking for me, so I hope it helps someone else.✌️

@yoan Just keep going bro, eventually it will be a habit and you just automatically stay consistent without thinking about it.

@yoan I have never had ADHD but I know in periods where I'm not training for a specific event, I have felt kinda lost and all over the place. But I like the idea of having a set of workouts you can pick from each week. As you track those exercises, you can always challenge yourself with adding weight/reps to them to see progression. I'm glad you're able to find something that works for you!

@yoan Before I went on a program I used to work out for years based on a rather loose idea - I would have a general split (2 leg days, shoulder day, back day) and I would build my workout on movement patterns. For leg days I'd do a squat pattern, a hip hinge pattern, some type of hip thrust, some type of unilateral movement - and I would do whatever I felt like or whatever was available at the moment. So squat pattern could be a barbell squat, a smith machine squat, a leg press, a goblet squat or whatever squatting type movement I came up with. Same with all other exercises.

It worked very well for me and since I have always written down everything in a notebook, it would also allow me to keep progressive overload either on weights or reps. And worked wonderfully in a crowded gym, because I knew that I could always come up with some kind of an exercise within that movement pattern and I would still have plenty of structure to build upon.

I don't believe at all that training should be strictly regimented (unless you have very specific goals). Different things work for different people and whatever enables you to show up in the gym is perfect in my book.

@yoan That’s awesome. I’m kinda the same way. My cardio is random some days I do sprints & walking mix for 45 minutes, some days I jog hills, some days I lightly run for 10 minutes.

I have two different days.. back-legs and shoulders-abs-glutes. But I switch up the exercises and the sets everytime based on how I feel. But like you I have main lifts that I for sure hit each time.

@yoan I love this. I do some variation of this as well. Life just got so busy that following strict programming just stopped being fun and more of a chore and source of stress.

Ive also parred down my program to be done start to finish in 1h, 1h10m MAX. Ive done “what you’re not supposed to do” and made my own “program” of lifts I enjoy, making sure to hit muscle groups at a good frequency, and pushing myself.

The days are also structured in a way that at least one of them can be done from home, so I can just do that one for when I’m really not going to manage the gym, but I have an hour. Then another day is a bit lower intensity in that it’s mostly isolation work so I’ll hop on that if I’m not feeling it. Then I have backup exercises in mind in case the equipment is taken. I’m just not going to wait around. Period.

@yoan I really love this idea! I've been getting thrown off by not being able to access the weights or areas I need to when I'm at my gym, so I really love the idea of having something as a backup.

Thank you!

@yoan Would you feel comfortable sharing your exercise list for each day? I also struggle with keeping a consistent routine so seeing how other people plan their splits out is really helpful!

@arabellex This is literally from my notes app haha, the X’s and O’s are what I’ve completed versus not so far this week. This is my homemade program tailored to how I know my body responds to certain exercises, for example I know my glutes lag but my back and biceps come up easily. So I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it to everyone. I was sick earlier this week and missed a day, so I’ll probably end up splitting what’s left across 2 days. Typically I try to fit everything in Monday-Friday so I can have Sat and Sun off.

X Deadlift
X Calf raise
X Cable row
X Lat pulldown
X Face pull
X Rear delt fly

X Abduction
X Hip thrust
O Hyperextension
O Cable side kick
X Delt raise
X Ab roll outs

X Belt squat
O Split squat
X Quad extension
X Ham leg curl
O Calf raise
O Tricep pushdown

O Abduction
O Hip thrust
X DB Bench
O Delt raise
X Bicep curl
X DB OHP
O Ab roll outs

@yoan Oh, I love this! Kind of like intuitive eating but for lifts -- you know you need protein, fiber, carbs, fat etc, but you're getting it in the way that's working for you that day. nice.

@yoan Sounds like a great idea! It keeps you going and like a to do list where you get the sense of accomplishment for checking things off

Back