Adjustable KB advice

malaps

Recently I’ve been getting into more double Kb routines. I think an adjustable bell would be a good investment to match the 16-40 kg Wolverson HS bells I already own. However, all the adjustables I’ve seen have a GS shape rather than HS.

I want to know if people think the difference in shape will prove to be a problem when, for instance, cleaning and pressing or would I just get used to it?

Probably a silly question but better to be informed that to drop 300 quid on something I end up not using.

Thanks in advance.

@malaps Hmm, tbh, it can be difficult at first stage. But probably you would get comfortable with that stance as time goes forward and you continue working that way. At the end, it’s all about doing something consistently to feel comfortable with something. This wouldn’t be different IMO.

@malaps I did this initially when I had fixed weight cast iron bells and only one competition adjustable.

It was fine.

Even when the weight was unbalanced, it worked pretty well.

I think it's slightly more comfortable with two comp adjustables, but not major. I think having some asymmetry is probably good as long as you even it out over the workout

@malaps I personally wouldn’t recommend it for things like cleans and snatches where you’re “catching” the bell on your arm. The timing and movements will be just different enough between the bells to cause problems. For things like swings or DL it would be fine.

@malaps I tried it just to try it last year. Swings and DHS were fine but cleans were uncomfortable. I’m sure it would get easier over time and/or when using the larger iron bells. The size difference with the 16 and 24 was a lot. It's a doable thing (weight is weight) but I get your apprehension when it comes to cost.

Also, you can offset the bells you already have for free. That would definitely be easier. Just switch sides to keep the load even.

@kail This is a good idea, thank you. I do wonder whether I’m just keen to waste some money rather than making so with what I’ve got already which frankly, is a lot.

@malaps I'd be wary of using a regular bell and a comp bell since the size difference can throw you off. But I haven't tried. Though the sizes are pretty similar at 28-32 kg so depending on what you mostly use, it might be not be too bad.