advancing my gym journey

swilson1

Hi! First time poster here, so sorry if i'm all over the place.

I've been going to the gym since february about 5 times a week. However, I do have a history of disordered eating which spiked during those months. i would love to put on some more muscle, especially in my quads and glutes, as well as my core and gain a little bit of endurance.

i am currently doing a p/p/l/upper/lower split, adding in occasinal runs during the week whenever it fits. usually walk 10k-20k steps a day.

on legdays, i usually do rdls (4 sets of about 8-12), hip thrusts (3 sets of 8-12), hexsquats (3 sets of 12), leg press (2 sets of 8-12 and two dropsets), leg extensions and hip abductions (2 sets of 12-16, one dropset). i usually end it with legraises or some crunch variation.
i know there is a thing called junk volume - would this be too much or is it alright, volume wise? does anyone have any recommendations, things i should change to promote quad and glute growth? and should i add a special day just for core work or is it enough to end my legdays with core work?

thank you already!

@swilson1 Our leg days are almost identical! Do you have a hack squat machine in your gym? It's great for quads and/or glutes depending on foot placement; I'm also partial to goblet squats (also quads/glutes depending on foot placement), and good old-fashioned lunges (with or without holding dumbbells). Bulgarian squats are another good one for hitting quads/glutes, but can be a little bit tricky if you don't have great balance.

As far as core: I tend to do core on whatever days my strength-training workouts are shortest, which is usually lower body days, and then also on my rest day. :)

@thecharismaticchristian thank you! yes, hacksquats were what i meant by hexsquats lol my spelling is creative
goblet squats might be an idea, but i gotta he honest - my balance and mobility are horrible with most squat variations.
thank you!