After 5 years of bodybuilding and dissapointing gym apps, I made one with us in mind

mikeck

Hey gym bros,

I've been bodybuilding/powerlifting for the past 5 years. During this time, I've always tracked my workouts. I started with a physical notebook, using excel sheets, then moved to trying smartphone apps, and never managed to find something I was genuinely happy with. I had some specific wishes:

- Ability to create my own custom routines (no pre-made routine stuff, I prefer to build my own routines).

- Quickly log my sets and have a visual overview of my progress for the specific exercise I'm training at that moment.

- Get useful statistics and key factors about my current training. For example, see my most recent PR to try to beat it next time.

- I wanted to create specific goals for reaching certain lifting targets. For instance, going to 500lbs in deadlifts from 450lbs: on day X 460lbsx12, on day Y 470lbsx10, on day Z 480lbsx8, etc. These goals should then show up during my workouts so I can work on them and keep my goal in mind.

- Most importantly, I wanted something simple. No bloated stuff, and no screens begging me to upgrade to a premium plan.

Seeing as I'm a software developer, I decided to create my own app based on these specific gym needs. I also added other features I found useful while training on a day-today and while asking my gym buddies for their feedback. Thus, since the pandemic started, I've been developing a gym app for us gym-rats and I wanted to share it with you in case you also find it useful. I didn't put any ads or paid features or anything like that. It's actually completely free. I'm quite curious to know what you think about it.

You can use the web app https://myworkinprogress.app/

or get it directly at the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.myworkinprogress.twa (note: an internet connection is needed. Full online support coming soon)

Hope it'll be useful for you fellow gym rats, and I'd be happy to hear any feedback you have!

Disclaimer: Not sure if this counts as self-promotion, as there is no monetary incentive for me or anyone to people downloading the app. I just built it out of my own need and to improve my programming skills, and sharing now in case it may also be useful for others.

@hirono If you are still interested, you can visit the web version through Safari, you can 'Add to your Home screen', and it'll be installed on your iPhone. It's a workaround for now :)

@mikeck Out of curiosity why is it not for iOS? You built it in an android only framework? You don’t want to invest the money into an iOS Dev license for the App Store? You don’t have a MacBook/iPhone to test on?

Generally if your idea is to make money off of this, iOS is where the money is at.

Edit: Why am I being downvoted? I asked a question lol.

@huseovago Basically I ported it to Android because that's what me and my friends use, and there was no need. But now it seems some people would like it for iOS so I'm really considering putting it out for iOS as well :) stay tuned