Am I overtraining?

aud1

I [24M] have never really worked out in my entire life, only sports in school. I am currently 58 kg, 164cm tall. From Jan 2, 2024, I've regularly started working out. A month ago, I got 5kgx2 dumbbells and did only upper-body work outs. Here is my routine, which I do every day, without fail. Please let me know if I am overtraining?

20 reps x 4 sets - Bicep curls

20 reps x 4 sets - Hammer curls

20 reps x 4 sets - Cross-body hammer curls

10 reps x 4 sets - Front raises

10 reps x 3 sets - Lateral raises

20 reps x 4 sets - Shoulder press

10 reps x 10 sets - Australian pullups (I can't do even a single pull-up)

I occasionally do wrist curls as well when I feel like it.

@aud1 I am curious as to why you do more reps with lighter weights. Can you not increase the weights and do fewer (10-12 reps)? While volume may be similar in both cases, but fewer reps with heavier weights reduce the overall time you spend on the workout. Again, I am aware of the debate between both cases: more reps, lighter weight versus fewer reps and heavier weights.

@enduringwone The sad thing is, I don't have any more weights right now. So I am adding reps to compensate. When I started, I did 10-12 reps, and now I'm at 20 reps

@aud1 I see. That makes sense.

In case, money is an issue, a suggestion if that works: try using bigger bottles or containers (5-10 L) and fill them with water. This might be makeshift arrangement but would work for some exercises.

@enduringwone Money is not an issue, I want to first build a habit of waking up early everyday and getting my reps done. Once I feel confident with myself, I will purchase more weights or, might as well join a gym! But I get your point. Thanks mate!

@aud1 Until unless you are having trouble recovering from sessions and it is affecting your routine you don’t have to worry about overtraining.

@aud1 You're primarily focusing on your biceps and shoulders. May I am the reason for that?

As long as you're not tired and recovering this is fine.

But I'd recommending switching up the workout a bit for other muscle groups

@aud1 Don't ignore lower body. Start doing high rep bodyweight squats. Split squats. Way too much volume for bicep. Not needed. Buy yoga blocks and do deficit push ups.

@aud1 Do it at least with a day gap. This is not over training in 1 month. But it will become over training after 3-4 months if you don't add variation and take rest. You can also do Tricep work. Flat on floor dumbell press, Dumbell Deadlifts, lunges, dumbell Rows, Goblet Squat, Dumbell Fly etc.

The problem is dumbells are brutal on shoulders if you only do dumbell work. So you can do this for few months to make it a habit.

@aud1 You can do better.

Try to do one exercise for every muscle, if you want to keep it simple and straight.

You can generate a sample workout plan using chatgpt as well. For example " Create a beginner workout plan with dumbbell only for 5 days a week"

You can make chnages as per your convenience.

Chatgpt gave me this -

Day 1: Full Body​

1. Warm-up:
    • Jumping jacks: 3 sets of 20 reps
  2. Workout:
    • Goblet squats: 3 sets of 10 reps
    • Dumbbell bench press: 3 sets of 10 reps
    • Bent-over rows: 3 sets of 10 reps per arm
    • Dumbbell lunges: 3 sets of 10 reps per leg
    • Dumbbell shoulder press: 3 sets of 10 reps

Day 2: Cardio and Core​

1. Warm-up:
    • High knees: 3 sets of 20 seconds
  2. Workout:
    • Dumbbell thrusters: 3 sets of 12 reps
    • Dumbbell swings: 3 sets of 15 reps
    • Russian twists: 3 sets of 20 reps (10 reps per side)
    • Plank: 3 sets of 30-60 seconds

Day 3: Rest or Active Recovery (Yoga, Stretching)​

Day 4: Upper Body​

1. Warm-up:
    • Arm circles: 2 minutes
    • Shoulder stretches: 2 minutes
  2. Workout:
    • Dumbbell bicep curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
    • Tricep overhead extensions: 3 sets of 12 reps
    • Arnold press: 3 sets of 10 reps
    • Dumbbell flyes: 3 sets of 12 reps
    • Renegade rows: 3 sets of 10 reps per arm