Anyone have a good routine for working out?

richard12789

What’re some good ways to divide up the muscles throughout the week to workout? And what exercises do you guys do? I finally have a gym membership but I honestly have no idea what to do by myself as I’ve only ever gone with friends.

I’ve thought about doing 2 muscles a day, with 4 different exercises for each muscle, and 4 sets for each exercise. In total that’s 16 sets per muscle, with 32 sets in total. Not sure if that makes any sense or if that’s too much, but that’s what I did with my friends so I figured I’d continue that routine. I’d probably have a split somewhere in between too.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for specific exercises for the muscles that’d be greatly appreciated. Cheers

okay so after doing some quick research (i tried before, but i think i was searching the wrong thing), it seems i misunderstood what split means. so from what i’m understanding i’d split it into push, then pull, then legs, and then probably a rest day, then repeat. so i’ve got the routine down. so now what i’d really want advice for is what actual exercises to do

@richard12789 Beginning lifters body are in an environment every experienced lifter wished their body could be in all the time. Your muscles are not used to resistance training and are going to be shocked as you work them. You will be able to stimulate VERY quick growth with the simplest of compound exercises. Don’t worry about how much weight you move right now, worry about getting technique proper and stretching those muscle under load. Really feeling the muscles you want to work. Most people don’t want to start with compound because they think they need to move incredibly high loads which is not true at all (Renaissance Periodization is where I got all my technique info from). There are some major benefits down the line for this. Your tendons and joints need to adapt to resistance training, your mobility needs to adapt, and this will teach the how to focus muscles later by teaching your body how to push and pull weight as a tool to grow muscle instead of just moving it around. So when you do use machines later, you understand how to squeeze and stretch the muscles under load properly. My recommendation would be a very simple

For lower: 3 sets of each. Squat, modified deadlifts of some form (focusing glutes, or hamstrings etc), leg press. Maybe some calf raises and leg extension machines as well after a week or two of practicing the form on the above.

Upper: bench press, overhead press, barbell rows, barbell curls and a tricep exercise of your choice ( I like JM presses for beginners, but make sure you master technique before you progress in weight. Again 3 sets each.

You could either do this all in one day and take a day off then repeat 3 times a week. Or split them into upper and lower days for 5 days (3 upper and 2 lower days).

Do this for 8 weeks. If the muscle is pumped and burning during a lift, that’s proper, if your entire body is physically exhausted after a set and your joints hurt, then it’s improper. You shouldn’t leave the gym exhausted. You want to push the muscle to adapt and become stronger, too much volume and you do more damage than the body can repair. We want the muscles to adapt to lifting more weight, not just heal because we tore them apart with an endless exhausting routine.

@williammikesy thank you for the very detailed response. i’m definitely going to take your advice and probably do all the muscles in one day since 3 days a week sounds more ideal than 6. form is definitely something i also aim on working on so i will definitely take that into account while working out. thank you for the advice again!! really appreciate it