Are classes like BodySculpt/"Just Weights" at the Y going to give me results? x-post from r/fitness

gtylerson

Hi!

I'm a 26/f looking to lose a little bit of fat and gain some lean muscle. I'm 5'8 and weigh 185 now and my goal is around 150, although this can and probably will be adjusted. I'm more focused on becoming smaller and more fit than what the scale says.

That said, I'm not totally new to fitness classes, but definitely new to the ones at the Y. I've done some boot camps before and really like the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred business. Anyway, I've read over the FAQ and what not and it seems that my goal of losing fat may not be reached by these strength classes and that I should be doing some cardio and then just straight weightlifting.

I've taken both the sculpt and "just weights" class. In each, there was definite focus on each major muscle group and some cardio mixed in. I definitely enjoyed it and my body is feeling it today. I just want to know if these types of classes are actually effective and going to help me reach my goal, or if I shoud shift focus to cardio to lose more fat before trying to do the whole strength training thing.

Thanks for all your help!

@gtylerson Eat a caloric deficit and do the type of fitness that keeps you motivated and you should be able to reach your goals.

If you want to run a triathlon or marathon then yeah you have to be doing cardio. If you want to be able to pick up heavier stuff then you have to be doing strength training. If you want to be healthy and improve your body, do what makes you happy.

edit: Provided doing what makes you happy is not just sitting on the couch all day.

@gtylerson Whether or not you lose weight depends on if you have a caloric deficit in your diet, not whether you do cardio or strength training. If you are running at a deficit and strength training you will lose weight, if you are eating too much and running all day you will gain weight. That being said, I have no clue what happens in a BodySculpt class but if it's something you enjoy and it gets you working out consistently then I would keep up with that but make sure you monitor calories.

@carleannah I'm at a 500 calorie deficit now. I log everything into MFP and don't eat my exercise calories back. I'll give this routine a shot for a few weeks and then see if anything needs adjustment. Thanks!

@gtylerson In my experience, this is going to depend a lot on the class instructor -- if they know what proper body mechanics are for each motion, if they can target what YOU need despite there being other people taking the class, and also simply how much they motivate you. I've been taking classes at my Y for years and seen instructors come and go, and there are two that stick out. One who is an "in your face" super motivating high energy cardio kickboxing lady, and another yoga instructor who moved through the group and adjusts everyone's body so they are getting the best bang for their buck in each pose (which REALLY helped me alot). Both fantastic women who I learned a lot from.

@dawn16 I definitely agree on the instructor thing. I did a class last night and just did NOT connect with the instructor at all. She was missing counts and we were doing odd numbers of reps/sets for different things.

Since she was just subbing for someone else I'm hoping the actual instructor will be better!

@gtylerson Your instincts are right. This is one of those cases where trying to do two things at once guarantees that you'll do both badly.

If nothing else, get enough lifting under your belt to feel confident in the movements before doing a class like that. THEN you can make a fair comparison and see how you like it.

Back