Are my macros right?! New vegan gaining weight instead of losing!

adamc

Hi everyone! I’ve been vegan for around 2 months and also been trying to lose weight. My Personal Trainer (who was vegan for a while) set me some macros but I just seem to be gaining weight! I go to the gym 4/5 times a week and walk most days but I do have a desk job.

Anyone think my macros could be what’s causing this?

C: 197
F: 49
P: 131
Cals: 1750

For info I’m 5’4 and 88kg currently

@adamc First off, "macros" don't make you gain weight. Weight gain is and always will be calories in, calories out.

So I'm 6 foot 190 lbs (86 kg) male, I do cardio 4-5 days a week (30 min+) lift 4/5 times a week and have a desk job, and you're eating basically a few hundred Cal below my maintenance. If your only cardio is some walking, you may be eating too much.

If you're adding in weight training for the first time you could definitely be getting newbie gains which will add muscle and can do this. You could also be adding water weight, especially if you've added in something like creatine which will increase water stores (if I'm using creatine I'll weigh like 4-5 lbs more)

You can also be missing calories somewhere, assuming something is lower but it isn't, or forgetting to count something (I've seen people not count oil they cook in, or dressing on salad etc) there are easy ways to get in a bunch more calories somewhere and not know it. Are you weighing everything?

The answer either way is to reduce calories more or increase expenditure though, that's just how it works.

How much have you gained?

@dawn16 I do 2 cardio days in the gym and 2 weight training days so potentially could be muscle maybe! I’m not using creatine but have introduced soy isolate protein powder which is completely new for me.

I’ve gained about 5lbs so nothing major but obviously want to address this if I am eating too much.

@adamc Again, protein won't do it, it's just a macro, total calories is what's gonna matter. Despite what the fitness confusion machine wants you to think, "what" you eat isn't nearly as important as the actual calorie content when it comes to weight loss.

So, for this to be all fat, you'd have to be eating about 300 calories over maintenance every day. (3500 calories in a lbs of fat x 5lbs = 17500 / 60 days = 296) but that's with the assumption that it's purely fat.

So take a look in the mirror, if you've got progress pics from two months ago, compare them, see if you think it's all fat or not, if it is, then cut 300 cal and see if your weight stays stable... if you're getting newbie gains and you think it's mostly muscle then just keep eating what you're eating, and wait for things to settle out, see where you are in a few months rapid muscle gain slows down fast if that's the case.

Remember, the important thing is if you like what you see in the mirror, not the number on the scale.

@adamc So 30% protein 25% fat and 45% carb… I’m at 55% carb, 25% fat, 20% protein and that’s been a real winner for me (does a lot of BJJ and weight lifting). But macros are all relative. My carbs come mainly from organic fruit juices and smoothies, fat comes from organic raw coconut butter, protein comes from organic protein powder and bars. There’s a difference obviously between hitting your macros and hitting them with the cleanest most nutrient dense foods possible (performance and inflammation wise). What are you actually eating and what are you actually doing and how old are you? Also if you literally just went vegan your fiber content probably damn near doubled or tripled and fiber in your gut absorbs and holds water. I lose a few pounds on weight cuts before tournaments just by reducing fiber without touching my total calories or macros. More fiber in the gut absorbing water adds pounds, and if you just started you may even be a bit backed up adding further to your gut content weight. Just food for thought. Good luck!

@adamc I just entered your data in a TDEE calculator (I assumed you are around 25 yo, age doesn’t make a big difference) and it seems that your BMR is around 1750 calories.

With your caloric intake and macros you should be losing weight. I would even lean to saying that it is a large caloric deficit.

As another comment stated, it could be muscle weight. I have read somewhere that with weight loss you gain weight for a short period of time at the beginning.

Back