Balance for the lower body? (E.g., 1-legged drills)

lbutler

So I realized today (after taking a yoga class) that my balance is terrible. In addition to getting dizzy when doing handstand work (from the recommended routine) I am unable to stand on 1 leg without having to move/sway excessively. Not sure why, perhaps it's an inner ear issue? I do get motion sickness pretty easily.

I'm pretty strong/fit (Rock climber - 5'10" 170 lbs, ~14% BF, upper body is really strong, lower body is weak). I can bench my body weight for reps, do 20 BW pull ups, 15 or so dips and can squat my body weight. I can also plank for 4:00. But I can't balance!!!

I feel like there's no platform to balance off of!! My foot wants to roll from the outside to the inside. My legs are slightly bowed, if this makes a difference. Maybe it's my ankles ... ?

What can I do to improve my balance? I would love to do slackline one day .. but kinda hard when I can't stand on one leg while holding my opposite knee and not fall over ...

@lbutler Do lots of single leg balance work and it will improve. Do you have flat feet? Focus on reaffirming your arches to prevent your foot from rolling to the inside. Set a timer and make a goal of staying in something like tree-pose for 30sec per foot. I also recommend warrior 3 with hands at the heart and the front scale as other fun shapes to master. In regards to slacklining, you should start practicing it regardless because believe it or not single-leg balance on the slackline is more forgiving than the floor in a different way.

@lbutler Well you have something that can be practiced multiple times every day without inhibiting recovery. So practice balancing any chance you get. Brushing teeth, waiting in line etc. Start easy and as you get better add more challenging positions.

@lyndon1996 Core is strong, I can do L-sit for 15 seconds. I do L-sit pull-ups, am working on the V-sit, and have a 5-minute plank hold. Can plank 1-minutes with 45 lbs on my back. Side planks and hollow earths. Yada yada. So that's not it. I think it's weak ankles, knees and perhaps propioception issues.