Bar M.U. HELP!

juhi

I've been working now for months to achieve a bar muscle up, I did a strength cycle of 10 weeks, I have a straight pull-up of 90 pounds, I feel that I'm still not even close to a bar muscle up. Can you share a programming exercise, progression anything that might help?

@juhi Bar muscle ups clicked for me a while back. I had to stop thinking of them as a really high pull up and start focusing on getting my hips as high and back as possible. When I try to show people at the gym what I mean, I hump the bar to exaggerate the hip influence of the movement. If you can do that, all you have to do is lean over.

@monamie This. When I could not do them but I knew I was strong enough it was because I was trying to pull up. Watch some slow mo tutorials, get the kip down right, and really think about "humping" the bar. Its all about getting your hips to the bar and then doing a dip

@juhi what helped my BMUs was:
step 1: start kipping :)
step 2: in your hollow position drive your knees up (to the bar);
step 3: now that your knees are up there, drive your hips to the bar - don't do a pull up or a chest-to-bar, keep your arms straight(ish);
step 4: your hips are there, flop over the bar :)

@juhi I’ve heard it more resembles a toes to bar than a pull up. Honestly for me I got the resistance bands and just got smaller and smaller. It helped me learn the proper pulling technique (pull to hips then do a sit up). It is more of a skill than a strength issue (though obviously both are involved).

@juhi Your chest needs to be like a foot away from the bar, not close to it. Then when you kip hard with your hips, your shoulders go forward and over the bar in a circle and the bar doesn't get in the way.

@juhi it's honestly a sensation you need to feel for yourself and get familiar with more than anything. EVERY guide/tutorial will pretty much say the same thing, and how it works/clicks for YOU might be different. For me, I literally hump the air as aggresively as I can and it works lol.

that being said the Pamela Gagnon (CF Gymnastics person) guide seems to be good. Check out WODPrep's too. put in the work, and it will happen.

also, you can do a 90-lb weighted pullup? damn.

Back