Been going to the gym for 2 years, did I screw up?

blueskies88

For context, I (16M) have been going to the gym for 2 years (since 14), I messed up a lot, took couple of ling breaks for travel, surgery and stuff (surgery was only two weeks). So on average, I’ve went to the gym for 10 months (including rest days) and excluding long breaks. That is in addition to bad diet and program hopping.

Here are my progress photos from start till yesterday. (Can’t show under belly button)

Wend from around 110lbs (50kg), 5’6 (168cm) at 14 to 176lbs (80kg), 5’9 (175cm) at 16.

So I’m wondering if I messed up and gained a lot of fat and little muscle for that period of time (didn’t go on a deficit intentionally for cutting, mostly focused on a surplus for the past year).

Or is that normal progress and there’s nothing wrong. Lastly, I’d like to hear some tips and suggestions for what should I do next for this year.

Thanks in advance!

@ekennovative It actually really important your body have little extra fat during puberty your body going though a lot of changes and need that extra fat and extra sleep. I need to find that study again but for puberty you should be gaining weight and height, plus you should sleep 10 or more hours a day. To get the best results.

@blueskies88 Definitely looks like you’re putting on more fat than muscle. Nothing to worry about right now but you need to start watching your macros more, making sure you are getting more protein and less fat. You need to be tracking calories and doing cardio. If you are going to the gym as regularly as you say you are then I imagine it must be your diet. Either macros or calorie intake so start tracking.

@lakelandlass I’m no expert but my opinion would be that it could be either or both. It’s hard to say without any tracking. Biggest factor is most likely just the fact that he’s growing with puberty and aiming for a caloric surplus, causing rapid growth.

@blueskies88 your eating too much carbs.
Too much fat and less muscle, its a sign your diet isnt the best, you need to di a cleaner bulk.

your still too young, got time, get a proper nutritionist to do you a diet plan.

Eat more protein like chicken breast and white fish and eat cleaner.

@blueskies88 Skip sweets, eat Joghurt/Quark with fruit instead. Eat healthier meals. I can't open your pics, but people comment you have a little too much fat. Don't worry about it too much, just keep working in the gym and maybe add some rowing machine or running outside into your program. The cardio has to be on the regular though, same for the better food if you want to loose weight. Good food/nutrition (!!), proper form in training and consistency are the most important. You probably good two of those three already down. So put together a meal plan, start eating breakfast healthier. That's the meal you can plan for yourself the easiest because you can make it for yourself without keeping your family on mind. Just ask them to buy Quark/Yogurt for you and slice some healthy fruit into it maybe throw some gold nuts in there.