C&P with long arms

kampell

I’m 6’2”/190cm with long arms. Should it be expected that longer arms can make good C&P technique more difficult? I can do double 16s and 18s but when I try to move up to 20kg I end up with some front shoulder tendinitis,especially on my right side (I’m left handed). Seems like taming the arc is harder to do when you potentially have a bigger arc to tame! Thanks.

@kampell My last comment was kind of joking, but all our bodies are a bit different and that change our technique approaches. For me, I have a very long torso relative to my short legs, so hinging movements took a while for me to get right and it was really easy for me to just use too much back flexion (not inherently unsafe, just inefficient).

I think over time with practice you should be fine. If you're getting tendonitis, pull back on the volume and/or speak to a physio if doesn't get better.

@kampell High ape index💪💪
Fellow Slenderman here. I've always found slow pressing movements more challenging than pulling. Maybe moving the weight over a longer distance makes stabilizing harder? I don't really know.

In my case i got better at pressing safely by improving thoracic mobility/lower trapezius strength.
But anyway, i still don't enjoy slow grinds, so i just do jerk instead of press.

@kampell Will you have more difficulty compared to someone who has shorter arms and better levers for lifting? Yes.

Can you do anything about it? Yes and no. You can't get better levers. You can get stronger though.

I also say this as a 6'6" dude with +2" ape index. I thought I was too tall to press heavy. I was wrong.

@kampell I'm 6'4 with long arms, and I haven't had a problem with that and I'm using 26s when I do doubles. Maybe post a form check with the different weights to see if there's a mechanical issue, or it could be a matter of moving up to heavier weight before all the other muscles are ready for it. You can get a lot of weight moving with your posterior chain, and your shoulder might not be ready to control that extra weight yet.

@kampell I don't have particularly long arms and also tend to get a shoulder thing when I do a lot of pressing or pull-ups. Turkish Get Ups has been great for building shoulders without the pain.

@kampell I'm 6'3"with a 6'7" wingspan.

Clean and press just fine.

Deadhanging is great for shoulders, you should try it. Lots of people have overhead mobility issues and don't even really know it.

Also keep in mind that connective tissue like ligaments/tendons/cartilage receive much less blood flow than muscles. This means that you'll gain strength in your muscles a lot quicker than in your connective tissues. So if your technique is perfect, and you still have discomfort, you may just need to slow down a bit and let your structure catch up to your strength gains.

@kampell I recently had front shoulder tendon pain. The physiotherapist told me it was an impingement caused by my left shoulder being too far forwards during the press - ie poor posture. Exercises to improve that included pec minor stretching and external rotator cuff band exercises, and consciously pulling the shoulders back while pressing.

I didn’t have to stop pressing, and the pain is resolved now, a few months later.

@kampell More difficult than what? Are you going to shorten your arms? Don't think so, so just get at it.

What causes you the pain: the clean or the press? Cleans are technique, press also (well, with an extra of strength required).

Worry less about things you can't control like your body proportions, I'm 183 and my wingspan is 190 and I have never even thought about if it's more or less difficult for any kettlebell movement, just try to find what works for your body shape and geometry.

Find good technique with light weight, progress in weight and reps safe but steadily.

@kampell Im 6'4" /193cm I do not have this problem. I have had the occasioanl tendonitis flare ups in teh past.. what I have found really good to make sure this does not happen is a few things

Halos for warm ups

Hanging from bars and lower weight kettlebell arm bars and resitance band pull aparts.

@kampell My guess is that if you are having tendon issues, you should drop weight.

Muscles adapt faster than tendons.

Keep grinding out the 18s for a while. Increase progression in other ways (e.g. more reps per set, more sets, longer time, less rest, etc).