Can I get a protein powder recommendation?

vanda

I’m so sick and tired of buying protein powders only for them to be so over sweetened or chalky and gritty.

I just want a more malty feel almost, but ideally low carb. I usually go chocolate or vanilla as I’m boring like that.

I’ve noticed sun warrior brand on eBay which isn’t one I’ve seen in the U.K. before. Good to note that’s where I’m based to.

(This is literally for me to have as my lunch daily during work)

@vanda I really like the Vega brand stuff. It doesn't taste overly sweet or overly like dehydrated peas to me. If you add chopped beetroot and a teeny bit of cocoa powder to the vanilla one it tastes a lot like red velvet cake.

@psalm9one I did a little research into this recently and learned that the Vega brand stuff (some of it? im not sure exactly which ones) has unsafe levels of heavy metals, like lead and mercury.

There's this brand which has reports from third party testing to prove their product doesn't. It's definitely a little more expensive than Vega though.

@dawn16 Oooh. I'd very much like some links to the info on unsafe metals please! I've been using Vega for several years and have only had positive experiences with it, so thats a bit concerning if there might be bad stuff in it!

@psalm9one I have now looked a little deeper, and now I'm not so sure. Basically, what I saw were comments/reviews on a vega protein powder citing a specific study saying that they have unsafe levels of heavy metals in their products. So I looked it up, and I found their site.

They're the "clean label project" and basically they claim to be interested only in testing products and informing people about what's in them beyond the stuff on the nutritional label, which is great. However, if you've ever looked at scientific studies, you'll find that what they provide on their website is a little fishy.

Here is the main page for their studies, and it gives two links for the protein powder study. This is an infographic, obviously intended to spread unease about using protein powders that they haven't approved, and this is the paper with more info. (Only 3 pages)

As far as I can tell, absolutely none of the data they claim to have collected from hundreds of products is actually available, and thus it's impossible to tell exactly which products they're talking about or how bad the problem actually is.

So ... maybe they're just trying to get you to buy the products they recommend. Absolutely bizarre. I won't be talking any more shit about vega lmao

@vanda I bought a pouch of Vega dark chocolate, 30g of protein and had it yesterday. I can't say I liked it, but I drank it anyway. I used to do the completely sweetener-free, organic stuff. No powders taste all that great imo, but I discovered I like OWYN (Only What You Need) a lot. They sell the little drinks with 20g of protein each. I bought a pound of the chocolate powder for just over $20 at Wegmans a few days ago. I like it best out of the few I've tried. Otherwise, I just suck it up and down...I think it was Garden of Life, plain and artificial sweetener free. Powders can be great for keeping hunger under control while lowering carb intake.

@vanda I hear you! My diet is literally about 80% complex carbs, and I am tired of having this bit of flab on my tummy. I have been cutting back on carbs for two days now and I am already seeing results. I think it's good to have a break from carbs now and then.

@vanda I've been using PhD nutrition vegan protein, Belgian chocolate and cookies and cream. It mixes well (no lumps) and tastes fine (it's no chocolate milkshake but it's definitely better than even whey protein powders I've had before)

@vanda Ghost is really good, not chalky or gritty at all and good for making protein pancakes as well. Only downside is the vegan options are limited but I’m a simple guy so the flavors work for me.