Can I get fit with only minimal outside gym?

layla

I (42M) had to move home temporarily to take care of my elderly parents. I’ll be here for about 6 months, in an isolated town, so I decided I’d really try to improve my fitness, in that time.

The problem is the nearest gym is 45 minutes away. I was thinking about using the gym only once a week and relying upon my own equipment the other 2.5 times per week (working out every other day).

At home, I own an 18lb competition kettlebell, a 23lb and an adjustable kettlebell from 25-70lbs. I also have a stationary bike. I’m also open to supplementing with calisthenics.

Is this a doable split? What would be a good routine to follow with 2.5 days per week at home and one day in the gym? What exercises should I consider doing in those two places?

This one has been a bit of a head scratcher for me. Much appreciate any guidance at all.

@layla You can get super goddamn fit with no equipment at all, everything you have access to and the surrounding environment is a bonus.

Look at the movement patterns and find the best movements to train those patterns with what you have around you. Squat, hinge, pull, push, stabilise.

@layla I don't think so because it depends entirely on your equipment. I took a "standard" training program and translated the movement patterns and then worked out how to make it harder each week without necessarily adding weight.

I like 5/3/1, tactical barbell, the Hardstyle kettlebell challenge, natural hypertrophy, greyskull and conjugate stuff.

@antponetteoaks "Work up to a hard set of X reps then do multiple back off sets of Y reps" -> I think there's a valid book that can be used for this sort of template without necessarily following it to the letter, Power To The People, adjusting it to one's needs. 10-15 sets of 5 squats at a high enough weight once a week would be enough for the majority. Not sure about shaky legs having to face a 45 minutes drive though

And the 5/3/1 series absolutely, the Boring But Strong (10x5) or Boring But Big (5x10) do fit this bill!

@dawes Yeah I guess it's a lot of programs really, you see that in 5/3/1 and conjugate and a bunch of Bromley's stuff.

The point is don't get overly concerned with the percentage or the exact number of reps. Do a hard thing, smash some volume, get a pump.

Bench = dips
Ohp = kettlebell press
Squat = split squat
Deadlift = swing/snatch

That sorta thing. You may need to change rep schemes. The important part is RPE.

I would do squats and Romanian deadlifts at the gym. Spam the hell out of the squats, work up to a heavy 5 then multiple back off sets of 10. Then a bunch of sets of 6-12 on RDL.

The rest of the week should be pull ups, dips, rows, overhead press and core/conditioning work. Maybe some single leg stuff or high rep goblet squats.

The rest is adding your conditioning. Could be circuits with swings and snatches, jump rope, running, hill sprints, depends what you're into.

@layla Buddy you could get lean big & strong with just one of the lighter bells you have. You could aim for 2/3/5 ladders of C&P with the 70 pounder by training with the lighter weights, go for 100 ~50 pound snatches in 10 minutes, hit the legs hard with single leg 2 bell stuff, or even do offset doubles work for the rest of the body. Not to even mention your bike.

I'd turn myself into a monster with what you have.

@layla Unless you want to do some heavy squats then what you have is all you really need to get in great shape. You can do a kettlebell equivalent of all the Olympic lifts. But, to piggy back off of what others have said, if you want to be in the gym that one day, take advantage of the squat rack. But don’t neglect the kettlebell swings at home. Because of the focus on the core and the posterior chain with the primary kettlebell movements, it will have a knock on effect for everything else you want to do.

Back