Classic handbalancing/calisthenics books in PDF now free online

@klong0149 Interesting look at how they used to approach it. Nowadays it's universally accepted that the hollowbody handstand is ideal whereas in the old days, it was the arched back handstand that handbalancers were aiming for.

If you are just starting to get into handstands, I wouldn't read into it too much as the methods are a bit outdated and inefficient by today's standards. But still very interesting to take a look.

@married1988 Yes, but I wonder if this change in preference of back position just a matter of fashion, really?
The arched back handstand can look very good (if viewed without prejudice), especially if done deliberately.

@klong0149 It depends on what you’re trying to do a handstand for. If your aim is to do hand to hand (person standing and another upside down on top) then the hollow body shape will help keep the line and make everything more rigid and controlled. One armed handstands better executed with hollow body, I also think it looks more clean. A person how know how to do a proper hollow body hand stand can arch if they want, it may not go the other way

@klong0149 very interesting. currently scanning. also, been wondering , how different is a handstand from handbalancing? is handbalancing the umbrella for handstand? is it also called arm balancing?

@nezumi Handbalancing is a performing art in the circus world (and I haven't heard anyone call it arm balancing).

You could tell a handbalancer to do a handstand, and they'll probably ask which one :p

@nezumi Handbalancing is a broader, more inclusive term. It includes many different forms of balances on hands and transitions between them. It includes everything from croc, to one arm handstand variations, contortion handstands, partner balancing, planche and presses.

A handstand is just that, a handstand.