compound lifting noob question

mrsrae

My ultimate gym goal is to hit my bodyweight on 3 compounds: BSS, Deadlift, Squats

Got a dilemma. Given na yung proper form and mobility: What’s the better way to get to that goal: start using the squat rack with just the bar and do progressive overload through time, or settle for dumbbells first until I can do compounds with plates on the bar?

p.s. I use a KB sa BSS, just added it in the list since compound rin siya

Salamat sa sasagot!

@mrsrae Strength training needs to be specific. If you want to get good at a specific kind of squats you should squat in that specific way. I'd look up principle of specificity and read a bit on it

If you can't lift with the actual implement or tool try to lift a variation that's very similar to it.

@mrsrae strength training entails you to lift heavy with the proper form and mobility but you need the accessory muscles strengthened to help your body lift heavy. progressive overload is a good way to go but include volume work for the accessory muscles too

@mrsrae Do you already have the mobility to perform those movements property? I.e hip, ankles, shoulders for back squats; hamstrings, hips, spine for deadlifts etc. If wala pa, I’d focus on that first then drill the movement pattern through a different tool muna i.e: KB/DB for goblet squats to teach you to sit between the knees/drive knees out on squats, RDL for proper hip hinge

@mrsrae So far tried and tested nadin talaga over the years yung progressive overload. But since you want to improve yung mga compound lifts, you have to practice more on them while progressive overloading. The more you do them, the more you improve on them but...

Let's not forget supporting exercise din syempre. Di kalang laging puro bench ng bench or deadlift ng deadlift. By gradually increasing the resistance, volume, or difficulty of supporting exercises, you can continually challenge your muscles and stimulate their growth and adaptation.