Critique of my routine

npakergy16

Hi guys, I’m 6ft3 90kg (about 17% bf). I’ve created a custom workout based on various articles I’ve read and just wondering if you have any feedback. I’ve lifted on and off for 10 years but never had my diet in check and never made huge gains as I tend to be off and on but I’m fully committed now.

Goal is to keep 2 reps in the tank every set and only up the weight when all the work sets are above 8 minimum (I.e bench 60kg - 12 reps, 10 reps 8 reps each with 2 in the tank, then up it to 62.5kg and repeat)

3 x full body split (M, W, F)

3 x 8 sumo deadlift or squat (this alternates each workout with the other exercises remaining the same)

3 x 8 bench press

3x 8 chin ups

3 x 8 dumbbell shoulder press

1 x 12 lateral raise

1 x 12 bicep curl

1x 12 close grip push up

As you can see it’s mostly compound lifts with just a few accessory lifts (1 set each) for the “glory” muscles.

Let me know what you think in terms of overall volume and intensity factoring my rest times (based on leaving 2 in the tank).

It should be noted I’m running on my off days a few km training for a half marathon (not ideal for bulking but it’s a goal of mine regardless) but I’m tracking calories (2336 is my “sedentary” baseline plus 500 is my goal to bulk plus any I expend on exercise so if I do a run of 400 calories I’ll eat 900 calories above 2336).

Let me know your thoughts!

Back