Crossfitters w/ Type 2 Diabetes

erica39

Hello,

Just wanted to know what considerations and diets that crossfitters w/ Type 2 engage? Do you skip workouts if your sugar is too high? Do you eat a particular diet? That and anything else you’d like to share.

@erica39 T1 here, the only thing that is hard to control is the spike after the wod. It's put a lot of stress on the body which produces glucose. Other than that, there are really no differences you should worry about

@erica39 I have very controlled T2D/insulin resistance (A1c 5.3). I do intermittent fasting and workout on an empty stomach. It's hard at the beginning, but your body adapts to it within a week or so. The challenge for me is not to over eat after a workout because low blood sugar makes me ravenous. I tried keto but it was too restrictive for my lifestyle (frequent travel), so I don't restrict what I eat but I stay away from processed prepackaged food and make sure I get plenty of fat, moderate protein and some complex carbs.

@p8089 Weekdays: 20:4 or OMAD. Break the fast at 5 or 6pm and eat a big meal with the family. Occasionally I have to eat lunch at work when entertaining clients, and I try to eat as low carb as possible. Otherwise I Crossfit at noon X 3 per week.

Weekends: 16:8. Skip breakfast, have a medium sized lunch while running errands, and a light dinner. 1-2 glasses of wine. No workout, but I try to get in 10k steps (which is very hard in my sedentary lifestyle).

I typically don't have blood sugar spikes unless I eat really really really bad, but I do have Dawn Phenomenon where my early morning fasting sugars are on the higher side. But it decreases down to 100-110 when I am disciplined about working out and eating well.

A Surprising effect to IF is that my cholesterol & triglyceride levels have been decreasing. My BMI is 26, so not too terribly overweight. But I do want to lose a few pounds to get my fasting sugars even lower. I lose weight very slowly 0 - .5 lbs a week, so I try not to worry too much about my weight. My main goal is to reduce the amount of insulin circulating in my body.

@dawn16 Very good.

The one thing I'd keep an eye on is total fiber if you're low carb but it sounds like you're doing very well.

Thanks for sharing how you did it.

Back