Day one…again

walton

Accountability post. I’ve been focusing on rebuilding my mental and financial health but in this process I’ve lost so much muscle tone and gained five pounds. I keep starting and stopping and it’s not ok. I miss my muscles! I’m posting this for me to say I can do it this time, I will do it and I deserve to do it. Today is May 7, Day 1 again and that’s OK.

5,2 f 25y CW130, GW 110

@walton Just out of curiosity - if your stated goal is muscle tone, then wouldn’t your goal weight be slightly low, or simply hard to achieve? Muscle is heavy! And trying to lose weight whilst gaining muscle at the same time is kinda hard. Changing your current weight (more or less) into muscle may recomp your body in the way you actually want it to look?

@follicallychalnged I hear you. If I weigh 120 but I can fit into the pants from when I was 110 a few years ago I won’t be upset. I just want to wear clothes I already own and feel strong and good.

@follicallychalnged I am 5’2” and 105lbs (40y, F) and I have a lot of muscle. I do a mix of cardio and kettlebells and weights, both light and heavy dumbbells. It’s totally possible to lose a lot of weight (I’ve lost 25 lbs since January) and gained a ton of muscle.

@keai95 Women can realistically only gain 10lbs of muscle per year if they are newbie lifters. That's the best amount with serious lifting. It's gets even harder to put on muscle every year. Probably at best 0.1-0.3lbs per month after the second year. And this is done without a calorie deficit. It's actually harder to build muscle when you are on a large calorie deficit. That's why people do bulk and cut cycles.

If you have been lifting for less than a year, it's most probably you lean out or drop your bf% so it makes your existing muscles more prominent. Giving you the illusion that you have built like a ton muscle.

@meteorstorm I was extremely sedentary last year after cancer, a radical hysterectomy, lumpectomy and radiation. I put on weight from depression following that and in January started to move my body again. I posted my progress picture in r/petiteprogress. I absolutely lost weight and leaned out, but I promise those muscles weren’t just “hiding”. I didn’t just make muscles more prominent.

@keai95 Because it's not possible to put on a "ton" of muscle especially when you have been working out from only last year. Women in general can only put on 10lbs of muscle in a year and that is already a good estimate provided you aren't in a calorie deficit and am having good nutrition and sleep. That why they say women don't get bulky.

And your weight does say you don't have a ton of muscle. At 5'2 and 105lbs, it's unlikely and it's only 5 months. I looked at your post, you do look good and have muscle definition but it's most probably because you leaned out, so they became more prominent. You likely put on some muscle but you should be heavier
than 105 if you have a lot of muscle.

This give a better understanding.

Also if your bodyfat % is too low, it's harder to put on muscle as well. Ideally it should be ~20% to see hypertrophy.

For reference I'm 4ft11, 110lbs and I have been lifting since 2016. And I eat over 2500 calories because I'm extremely active with muay Thai, pole dancing and lifting.

Edit: Anyway pics say it better. This was me after close to a year of lifting and Muay Thai. I probably was about 100-102lbs here, up from 92-95lbs after crash dieting and here

And this is me here and here 110lbs

Btw don't take it the wrong way, I'm not dismissing your achievements.

@walton The answer wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the other person. The stats, timing don't add up to gaining a ton of muscle.

You can lean out, make your muscles more visible or tone as you want to call it. But you don't just gain a lot of muscle in a short time especially on a calorie deficit.

Muscles build on calories and protein. It's an anabolic process. That's why people do bulk and cut for faster results.

@godisiam No calorie counting. I truly have no idea what I eat in a day but I definitely follow my body’s queues. I do I.F. Some days, not all, and I only do it when my body is just not hungry in the morning. I fast sometimes until 2pm. Again, some days I eat right away, just depends.

@walton Ugh, me same, but 5’1” and my goal is 120. I got injured and now I’m all squishy and uncomfortable and I had to dig out my big shorts for the summer. I’m about to start a stressful job and I need to start the self-care exercise again and get my heart rate up and endorphins going. Let’s go!

@harleen Feeling similar! Lost touch with somethings over the winter and I put on 5 pounds and had already put on some over the summer. I’m having a very hard time losing this time around. I can’t find a calorie count that works for me.

But I picked up hot yoga and am going 2-3x a week. It’s been a wonderful challenge.