Didn’t realize I was protein deficient - what results can I expect adding it alongside my workout routine

I’ve been working out doing HIIT and weightlifting via Orange Theory and Peloton for two years - typically 5-6 times per week for 1 hr a day.

I’ve lost 20 lbs this way (160 to 140). And swapped a bunch of fat for muscle (my body fat % scale broke 4 months ago sadly so I don’t know the latest).

I’m an idiot though and never realized how important protein was to build muscle.

I get minimal protein. Probably 50 g a day. My normal “healthy” meals are tons of veg or fruit with a small serving of cheese/meat. Not nearly enough protein I think.

If I start eating the recommended amount of protein what type of results might I expect in terms of building muscle? How much of a difference can it make? Anyone have pics or personal stories??

Thank you!!

@lucashemingway1196 Are you really only getting that much? I mean, I get more than that in a single sitting for dinner. Are you counting protein from all sources?

I believe 60 grams is the minimal requirement for normal bodily functions, let alone anything to do with muscle building.

What does an entire normal day of eating look like?

@londonmum It is 40! I was shocked when I read that in nutrition class.

Banza chickpea pasta has 20g in a 3.5oz serving, so that’s an easy swap. And nutritional yeast has protein so sprinkle that in everything.

@londonmum I’ve only been focused on calories…and I’m a busy mom of school aged kids so meals for myself are dismal. Food yesterday was:

Breakfast
- 2 cups of black coffee
- leftover berries and half pancake from kids breakfast (3 grams protein)

Lunch:
- giant bowl of olive oil sautéed broccoli with soy sauce (maybe 5 grams)
- slice of cheddar (7 grams)
- olives and artichoke hearts (5 grams maybe)

Dinner:
- half a cauliflower pizza (15 grams per box)
- bunch of carrot sticks and cucumbers (maybe 3 grams?)

Snacks:
- many handfuls of choco raisins (about 5 grams)
- lots of gummy pigs (3 grams)
- blondie brownie (5 grams)

I know I need to eat better, calories aren’t everything. This is probably why I feel so tired too. 🙈 When we go out to eat I always order a fucking massive steak and devour it.

@lucashemingway1196 How many calories per day is that, roughly? Asking because if you're tired consistently, you may be calorie deficient and not just protein deficient.

People who are resistance training need a significant amount of protein above the recommended daily average of .7 grams per kilogram of bodyweight (up to double that number) and the optimal distribution is roughly equal amounts of protein 4 times throughout the day since the body can only use maybe 25 grams of protein per meal.

Unless a doctor has diagnosed you with protein deficiency, I would caution against jumping to that conclusion even if it's true you could probably use more protein. The thing about the Recommended Dietary Allowance [RDA] for protein of .7g-.8g per 1kg of bodyweight is based on two standard deviations away from the mean (or average) and it was designed that way to statistically to make sure that the number would cover what 97% of the population needs. So the actual average is considerably lower than that (and there's also a small possibility that any individual is in that tiny 3% category of people who need more than the RDA amount). Mathematically, this also means that ~97% of the people who are hitting that minimum threshold are actually getting more protein than their bodies actually require.

Am I correct in thinking you're avoiding meat (aside from those occasional steaks)? Eggs, tuna, salmon, chickpeas are also high in protein...

@aranyi_zsolt Thanks for your thoughts. I do get enough calories…those chocolate raisins and gummy pigs adds up trust me, they are just nutritional garbage.

I’m fine eating meat but do find appeal in cheaper protein sources too, thanks for the suggestions.

@lucashemingway1196 Although I think you could use a moderate amount of additional protein I suspect your chronic tiredness is more of an impediment to muscle growth than not getting enough protein is. If you're not well rested and feeling fresh before you start your resistance training, you're not going to be building very much muscle. Rest and recovery is essential for setting yourself and your muscles up for another round of renewal growth.

I would try to get to the bottom of that before jumping to the conclusion that it's the lack of enough protein that's hampering you. If you up your protein intake for a couple weeks and keep everything the same and you stop feeling tired, then that's a strong sign that you nipped the problem in the bud. But if you change your protein intake and you still feel tired/crummy, it's something else.

@lucashemingway1196 Haha, it's a really easy fix luckily!

I just base each of my meals around a protein first. Which is super easy because protein high foods like meat are generally low in calories too.

How about some really simple changes. Berries and fat free Greek yogurt for breakfast for example. (18 grams)

@londonmum Thanks for your thoughts. And so true it should be an easy fix.

Absolutely Greek yogurt swap in morning is easy and a bunch of other things. Can’t believe I’ve been working out so hard for two years and forgot about this lololol.

@lucashemingway1196 To answer your question; eating adequate protein should help you gain more muscle and probably help your hair and nails as well. Make sure you're getting enough fats, too! You need all three macros.

If you've been eating this way for a while and are feeling fatigued, it may be worth getting a tested for vitamin deficiencies, as well. My wife eats similar to you (busy mom - no judgement) and she was low in vitamin d and iron.

@wrb Thanks for your thoughts, I will get my levels tested at next gp appt. I’m always tired, I thought it was mom life / maybe a touch of residual covid. Maybe I’m just eating like shit.

@lucashemingway1196 If you've really only been eating 50g a day, it could be quite a significant difference, but the individual variation for muscle gain is very high. You're basically just starting, so if you're going to be a high responder you may find out pretty soon. Although your programming will likely need to change -- Pelaton and Orange Theory is unlikely to drive optimal muscle gains. Better programming is going to be more important than optimal protein in the long run...

But if you can get to 1.2 to 1.6g / KG of body weight you'll get fine results.

1.6 to 2.2 is probably the high end of the optimal range

and above 2.2g/KG is probably not necessary, but also not harmful, except that it takes away from more carbs you could be eating that could make your training go better.

Pick a protein range that works for your lifestyle, and try to get enough fiber (25g+ or 38g+ for women and men respectively.) Doing these two things will also help keep you satiated. Since you described losing weight, this may be of interest to you.

Good luck!