Didn't get results even after 1 year of working out, what am I doing wrong?

angelanb

Hey folks, I really need some help from y'all.

I'm 18M and used to go to the gym until 2 months ago when my membership ended and I couldnt renew it due to reasons. I went to the gym for about an year. Now, I did have some slight progress but I am still a similar looking skinny fat guy. There's definitely not as much as progress that there should've been.

Now, I am gonna renew my membership. I still have my old workout plan, can you gives gimme some insight over what should be changed? And can I know what should be my progression?

- Day 1 and 4:

1. Decline Machine press

2. Incline DB press

3. Bench Press

4. Pec Fly

5. Overhead Tricep extensions (I couldn't properly do these no matter how I tried).

6. Cable Pushdown

7. Cable Tricep Extensions

- Day 2 and 5:

1. Squats

2. Leg Press

3. Leg Extensions

4. Leg Curl

5. Calf Raises

6. Overhead Shoulder Press

7. Side Lateral Raise

8. Front raise

9. Rear Delt Fly

- Day 3 and 6:

1. Lat Pulldown

2. Bent Over Curls (Another one I coudnt manage properly)

3. Reverse Lat Pull

4. Seated Row

5. Shrugs

6. DB curl

7. Cable curl

8. Hammer Curl

Near the end of what time I used to go, I started deadlifting as well until I quit.

Please help me guys, what should I change and improve to get results this time?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

@angelanb You say you had 'slight progress' - what kind? Was it strength increase or you looked better or both?

Honestly it's a lot of variation for someone new to the gym - and I would be willing to bet there isn't much of a programmed progressive overload to it all. Lots of isolation movements so I'm guessing the compounds didn't get the attention they deserve.

But...I'd be willing to wager it was your nutrition and rest that most negatively impacted your progress - tell us about how you eat (and were eating) and your rest/sleep situation. Be honest about it, too.

@lifesharer
You say you had 'slight progress' - what kind? Was it strength increase or you looked better or both?

Looks, my strength kinda increased as well, but I was weak asf before the gym. Avg skinny fat nerd, except nerds are smart. Now I look regular, but not what I feel I should look after even 4-5 months in the gym.

But...I'd be willing to wager it was your nutrition and rest that most negatively impacted your progress - tell us about how you eat (and were eating) and your rest/sleep situation. Be honest about it, too.

My diet was fairly mid. I ate what my mum makes, and for protein, I ate 2 whole boiled eggs everyday. Other than that, my diet was fairly the average Indian diet, with 2 roti (flatbread), some veg or chicken/fish/mutton depending on the days, and some rice. My breakfasts were a cup of tea and two rotis as well. Bad, I know, but I didn't know what else to do. This is something I think I need the most help with.

BTW I'm not exactly "new" new, since I did workout for like an year. I just didn't get any major results.

@angelanb Since you said Indian diet I'll tell you something. We have a lof of carb focused diet in India. If you wanna start seeing visible results start eating a lot of protein focused diet. Eat everyday 10 - 15 egg whites, 2 scoops of whey protein with 200 ml skimmed milk(one right after workout and one whenever you want), take 50 grams of rolled oats with 100 ml of milk with some seeds and nuts (Soak it overnight and eat for breakfast), chicken every other day or once in 3 days, or if you can eat it eat daily (200 - 300 gms). This is just a diet focused on protein. You should eat some good carbs and fats as well. If you can eat like this in less than 2 months you'll see visible results.

I use muscle blaze biozyme whey and creatine monohyderate.

@angelanb I'm just a beginner like you as I started my journey around year ago. After first 5-6 months of fast progress I started struggle to add extra weight to exercises. Answer for me was diet and supplementation to some degree. Once I started bulking my lifts improved almost immediately.