Direct Me To A Workout Plan for Snatch Strength

david11

I used /@artgirl101's website to evaluate my stength against games athletes. I was mostly in the "Advanced" category for everything except for snatch to no surprise.

Other than working on form/technique which is 90% of videos on youtube, does anyone have a link to a strength program for snatch? (i.e. one that suggests 5 sets of 5 at x% or something. X reps of high hang, x reps of low hang, etc.) My snatch PR is respectable but not where i want to be. Help get me to the 2 plate club on snatches!

@dawn16 No doubt on the technique. It is my weakest lift. I'll of course work on technique but wanted to find some suggested rep schemes as well.

@david11 Snatch is a lift where you can’t just do say 3x8 and get stronger in the same way you could with a back squat. You should work with a coach at your gym to refine your technique. It’s very rare that people are limited by strength in the snatch. Once your technique is dialed in, you have to figure out which part of your snatch is weak (1st/2nd/3rd pull, getting under the bar etc.) and work individually on those parts of the lift. For example, if my butt came up in my first pull, I would work on doing snatch lift offs with proper positioning in order to fix that. If my problem was getting under the bar quickly, I would do snatch balance. The Olympic lifts are unique in the sense that you strengthen them primarily with other lifts.

@castso Fair point. For me it's getting under the bar. I can get the bar up high with heavy weight but turning it over and getting under it is the greater challenge. I tend to stay high and actually end up pressing out my arms to extension some times. I hate snatch balance.. wonder why? Good points and i'll focus on the top portion.

I recently came across a "50 to 1" method which was 50 sets of 1 rep. i.e. not strung together, not for time, just form and completion of a big set over time. I may take that concept (not necessarily with 50 reps) and do as you say with snatch balance, high hang to snatch etc with low weight and gradually increase over time. This way i focus on form at a constant weight. I think where this differs from class workouts is because of time constraints fitting in a metcon you only do x sets of x reps. So this would force the focus on a portion without time constraint.

@david11 Definitely sounds like you need to work on Snatch Balance. You can also improve your speed under bar with high hang/dip snatches. Make sure you are deliberate with every rep as you warm up, focusing on making every rep look the same. The goal of something like this isn’t to hit a 1rm, but rather to teach your body the proper positions.

Back