Do you have to have a structured workout routine to see results? Can I wing it every day and still experience the benefits of strength training?

mihai_1991

I know this is probably a silly question. I’ve tried to get into strength training many times (I’ve tried the gym, machines, body weight exercises, and exercise bands… the only things I’ve really cared for are body weight and band exercises).
Every time, I inevitably get bogged down trying to follow a plan, often with exercises I hate to do, and feel like I have to watch video tutorials to do correctly and fixate o doing it their way vs focusing on how I feel.

However, there are a few workouts I really like, and I feel like if I just did those at my own pace every day, I could grow to actually enjoy exercise and may be able to get more disciplined with it over time. But I do want to build some strength obviously, I don’t expect insane results but like ability to do a push-up eventually would be great. Is this a bad plan? Will I see no benefits without following someone else’s routine? I did this yesterday and today and I’m sore af now but idk if that’s any indication that it’s GOOD lol.

TIA!

@mihai_1991 I mean, newbie gains are a real thing, so I say yes. Winging it is fine as long as you change your objective from " I need to look a certain way by doing this" to, "trying to find something I don't hate enough to do consistently" --- for me, I didn't care for weightlifting until I used the weight room at my climbing gym. Because if I get bored, I can take a month off and just do climbing... until I'm bored with climbing and then I switch back.