Do you supplement L-Leucine?

sgtbrimcg36

Hey there, with L-Leucine being one of the most important amino acids I wondered if some of you may supplement it?
I gave a new protein powder a try and it had 10.3g of Leucine per 100g of product. As far as I'm aware that's the sweet spot and makes the powder higher in quality all around.

Animal products are quite high in this particular amino acid but lentils, beans and soy do contain it as well. So I suppose even with working out 4-5 times a week there shouldn't be a need to supplement L-Leucine or could it still be beneficial? Curious about your thoughts on this, thanks!

@sgtbrimcg36 https://examine.com/supplements/leucine/

Leucine activitates mtor, which is why ~3gr spikes throughout the day are optimal. That's why "higher quality" protein powders often aim at ~10gr leucine/100gr, as the standard protein serving is about 30gr .which equates 3gr leucine. For the most part the upcharge for these proteins isn't worth it. You can just take more protein powder of the cheaper blends and get the same result.

Personally I supplement a shake a day on top of a balanced diet. Then there's no need to worry about leucine at all. But here's a list of vegan leucine sources:
https://vegfaqs.com/best-vegan-food-sources-leucine/#The_Best_Vegan_Foods_for_Leucine_Per_100_Grams

Unflavoured leucine by itself is also quite nasty

@tanasee That's very good to know, thank you!
I wouldn't pay extra for like 3g more leucine per 100g of powder but it's good to know that with a balanced diet supplementing it isn't necessary, thanks👍🏼

And oh yeah I can imagine that unflavoured leucine tastes horrible haha.

@sgtbrimcg36 Nope. I just take one scoop of plant protein powder a day (30g protein out of the 120-130g total I eat), and I'm fine building muscle.

Protein powder and creatine are all the (non-medical) supplements you'd need. I take those two, and the three supplements my doctor prescribed me (B12, Omega-3, Calcium+D3) because I've a deficiency (and no, nothing to do with being vegan. I used to drink a litre of milk a day until last year and still had the same deficiencies).

Even BCAAs are useless. Don't even get me started on fat burners.

@louy51 Nice yeah I aim at 100g at least maybe a bit more but don't really keep track of it at the moment.

I have never supplemented creatine but bought a badge a few days ago and maybe I'll hop on it the next few weeks. Creatine is definitely one of the best PEDs👍🏼

My B12 is fine but D3 very low that's why I'm taking a high dosed D3 supplement for a month or so to get back on a good level. And I bought Omega 3 as well, I didn't get checked for it but it doesn't hurt either.
And same with me, nothing to do with being vegan. Even during summer when I spend more than enough time in the sun by D3 level was at 20 and now its at 10.

Haha BCAAs are trash, I use EAA but only because I like to drink a good amount during my workouts and a few grams of protein don't hurt either. Well the only effective fat burners are compounds such as DNP or Clen and one doesn't want to use these. Only one I ever considered was Yohimbin HCL but it's only worth it and level body fat levels in general and even then it's effect is quite limited.

Back