Does it make sense if I switch Push-Pull-Legs with Push-Pull+Legs ?

smelaman

Hello everyone! I am a 30 year old millennial, 172 cms tall weighing 103 kgs when I started working out in the last week of February 24. As of today I weigh 98.35 kgs. My goal is to lose weight and get stronger.

For the initial two weeks I followed the PPL split. After two weeks I made some changes to my split. Instead of Push-Pull-Legs I do a Push-Pull+Legs split and a rest day after 3 cycles.

I also try to swim 30 mins a day, 2 to 3 times a week.

The reason for modifying the split is I want to work each muscle group minimum 2 to 3 times a week.

Please take a look at the split I follow and give me your suggestions.

Push Day

A. Chest
  1. Flat Barbel Press 3 sets x 12 reps
  2. Incline Barbel Press 3 sets x 12 reps
  3. Pec Machine 3 sets x 12 reps
B. Shoulders
  1. Overhead Press 3 sets x 12 reps
  2. Lateral Raises 3 sets x 12 reps
C. Triceps
  1. Dumbbell Overhead Extension 3 sets x 12 reps
  2. Rope Push Down 3 sets x 12 reps
D. Fun
  1. Sledge Pushing 5 rounds
Pull Day + Leg Day

A. Back
  1. Lat Pull Down 3 sets x 12 reps
  2. Seated Cable Rows 3 sets x 12 reps
  3. Chest Supported Rows 3 sets x 12 reps
B. Biceps
  1. Hammer Curl 3 sets x 12 reps
  2. Preacher Curl 3 sets x 12 reps
  3. Inclined Dumbbell Curl 3 sets x 12 reps
C. Legs
  1. Squats 3 sets x 15 reps
  2. Leg Extension Curls 3 sets x 12 reps
  3. Kettle Bell Swings 3 sets x 20 reps
D. Fun
  1. Sledge Pulling 5 rounds
or
  1. Duck Walk 5 rounds

@smelaman If you wish to increase the frequency, you gotta reduce the volume. If you train at a decent intensity, that pull+legs would bury your CNS so much that'll feel like a zombie for the next few days and in the long run it can really affect your overall energy, mood, immunity etc.

@smelaman More isn't better. You really don't need to train the bigger muscles thrice a week. Twice is more than enough. Still, if you wish to then I'd say reduce the number of exercises per muscle to 2 max

@phillipr I don't follow a PPL right now.
Currently I'm doing a split that prioritizes my chest and back.
Chest/back, Arms/delts, rest, upper, lower, rest, repeat. This is mu current split.
Prior to this I had ran Pull, push, rest, legs, rest, repeat.

And
Pull, push, legs, rest, upper, lower, rest, repeat.

@knownunknown I guess I got a bit enthusiastic since I was really enjoying the process. So 2 times a time would be more than enough? 3 times a week wont help me with better gains?

@smelaman If "more is better" were the case. We all would workout all day long.

Recovering from 3 leg sessions a week could be tough if you're moving decent loads. You can do 3 upper sessions a week though if you program intelligently.