Dragon Ball Z meets calisthenics + my full planche history

I worked harder than I should have on this video but I've always had this dream of recreating the super saiyan 3 scene from Dragon Ball Z but with a twist. Instead of ascending in saiyan form, I ascend in planche progression!

However, the planche has always been an extremely hard move for me to get. Some background information on me: I'm Yaad, I've done calisthenics for 9 years now. It took me 6 years of training to get the full planche, which is super long. Could I have done it faster? 100%. I was an idiot, and we didn't have much of a community in the ol' days. Besides, I was 14 when I started.

Around the age of 19-20 I finally achieved the full planche. I remember this very well. I was on holidays, running on a treadmill when I decided to hold onto the handles and simply lean forward. Before I had realized it... I was in a full planche. When I realized this, I immediately grabbed my phone and filmed it to confirm this was real. Sure enough... I really did full planche. I weeped. I'm not gonna lie. I cried like a little bitch. 6 years of training and I had finally achieved it.

A few weeks later, I injured my wrists. I couldn't planche anymore... or could I? I could! I did some supinated planches, but since I never properly prepped for them... well.. you guess it. Injured. Tendinitis on my both my arms! I had to lay off planche for 6 months!

In these 6 months I focussed on gaining muscle mass. I did 0 straight arm work, because even front lever work was painful. It was depressing, life wasn't fun. You have to imagine, I put everything into calisthenics, it was everything to me. To not be able to do it... was terrible. One of my lowest points in life.

My coach fortunately took good care of me and I had learned my lessons from my mistakes. After 6 months I had started introducing some straight arm work. A few months later, we started planching again. Nowhere close to a full planche... at least I thought so? Before I knew it, my coach told me to full planche on the rings. I refused! I thought he was mad. He explained to me that I was ready, felt like a scene from a movie man. I got onto those rings and I frickin' full planched. One day later, I did an iron cross to support hold. My training and patience paid off.

Ever since I've been able to full planche whenever I was in a skill cycle. My full planche journey is not over. I'm extremely weak in pressing to handstands, but that's something that I'm working on now! The journey never ends.

Anyway, it's 9 years later and I have gotten a pretty good grip on the full planche. It's probably my weakest move when it comes to my calisthenics arsenal. For example, some note worthy PR's I've hit are:
  • Rings victorian
  • 43-44 seconds front lever hold
  • Full maltese 7 seconds
  • 7 one arm pull-ups
Yet, I still struggle with the full planche. That's why I've always put off making this video. I just didn't feel like I was good enough. But today, I was good enough, I finally made my dream video.

Click here to see Dragon Ball Z meets calisthenics

@dawn16 I like to keep my upper-back neutral instead of super round. You’ll see pretty much any olympic gymnast do that nowadays. In general much better carryover to any other planche/maltese movement + for a lot of people healthier on the shoulders!

@lovinggodlovingpeople Is it always healther for the shoulders to do planche with flat upper back or is it one of those things that varies from person to person?

I do mine very similar to yours but just because I like it more than the rounded back planches.

@lovinggodlovingpeople Good to know! Im glad I leaned it this way then.

I've seen some "rounded back" or "protracted" malteses but they look more like piked to me. the shoulders are in the same neutral/slightly protracted position but its the spine/back that it's at an angle.

Anyways thanks for your insight

And btw I've been using your pressure point exersises and they really do make a difference especially in parallettes.

Back