Dragon Door Bodyweight Master vs Tactical Athlete Pull-up System

washburn

I'm in a unique position where I actually own both of these free standing pull up bars. For those unfamiliar, here are some links:

T.A.P.S. (YouTube demo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh54jE4dqnY

B.M. (Al Kavadlo YouTube demo)

Ok- so here's the deal, although I am a calisthenics athlete, I don't need both of these rigs so I should sell one. I'm having trouble deciding which one to get rid of and I thought maybe this community could help me decide. Ultimately, I like the T.A.P.S. feel more and I've modified it to double as a squat rack, but the B.M. is more versatile in terms of calisthenics and feels more sturdy. I think if I could modify the B.M. to be a squat rack or the T.A.P.S. to serve as flag station, one rig might edge out the other but there doesn't seem to be an obvious winner at the moment. If nothing else, I thought I should document the pros and cons of each rig in case any of you come across one of these discontinued treasures on the used market.

T.A.P.S.

footprint: 46"x62"

construction: 11 gauge, 2" square tube steel

overhead bar diameter: 1.25"

height adjustment: 67"-108" via spring loaded locking pins

weight: 95 lbs

This rig has a better feeling bar in terms of finish and in diameter. It is also easier and faster to adjust the height of. Additionally, I drilled some holes into it for J-cups and now it also works as a basic squat rack. The interior uprights perfectly sleeve inside of the base for minimal "clacking" sound during aggressive movements. Although this is a better made rig with thicker steel, the 2" construction leaves it a bit wobbly during aggressive movements. There are holes pre drilled for securing it to a floor, but then you'd lose the portability in a room. Assembly and breakdown are also quite simple with only 6 pieces and 8 large bolts. Although, breakdown is annoying enough that you wouldn't want to travel with it regularly. But, if you were to move where you lived, it would break down faster than your bed and pack in the truck easily.

B.M.

footprint: 46.5"x56"

construction: 13 gauge, 2.375" square tube steel

overhead (and lower) bar diameter: 1.5"

dip bar diameter: 1.25"

height adjustment: 73.5"-101" via spring loaded threaded bolts

weight: 104 lbs

This rig seemingly does everything but the feel of the powder coating is quite rough and the diameter of the overhead bar is fatter which could be good for grip training, but ultimately less comfortable to spend more time on. The interior uprights are a bit sloppy inside of the base, to account for this the base tubing has a plastic insert at the top to help keep the interior uprights snug but there is more "clacking" noise during aggressive movements. The construction is a little cheaper in terms of material (thinner steel, smaller bolts) but is made firm with extra support pieces and 20 assembly bolts. The low bar attachments are nice for flags, inverted rows, and elevated push ups. The dip bar attachments are nice in a pinch but they feel small compared to the thicker overhead bars. The dip bars have a padding glued to them to protect the overhead or lower bars when attached. This padding is a nice thick rubber, but it doesn't stay tight to the dip bars and tends to slide around under load. like the T.A.P.S., this rig also features holes at the base designed for securing it to the floor. Also worth nothing that the B.M. is even less travel friendly given the additional bolted pieces to assemble (10) as well as additional fasteners of varying sizes (20).