Feedback on my macros and calories

fineandfaith

Hi! I have done the TDEE calc and watched some videos but I am still not sure. IDK if it is the diet culture from the early 2000s engrained in me or what. 34 y.o. female, 130 lbs, 5’6”, 22% body fat. Right now I have my goals set at 2100 cals, 40% Carbs (210 g), 25% Protein (131 g), 35% Fat (82 g). I will likely eat closer to 115 g protein on average just bc that is how much I can typically fit into my diet. Are the carbs and fat too high? Is everything to high? Looking to gain some muscle (aka ass) and then I plan to transition to try lose some extra fat before my cruise in April. Does any of this seem correct or off?

@fineandfaith If you hit a plateau I’d lower the fat just a little bit and see if that helps. If you have trouble hitting your protein goal, try some recipes using vital wheat gluten and chickpea flour as the base. I make protein bagels, pancakes, mug cakes etc. with those ingredients as the base and it really helps me hit my protein without eating big portions of mock meats. Natalie Matthews has great recipes

@fineandfaith I can get 100g protein for breakfast.
  • Bowl of porridge with Alpro protein milk
  • Smoothie with 2 scoops of protein powder Alpro protein milk and mixed berries for flavour
Hope that helps.

@tranphankhai I had to look up Alpro. They don’t sell it near me. I do have a protein shake with ripple (high protein milk) in the evening (38ish grams of protein) and adifferent shake at breakfast (Orgain chocolate premade shakes for 20g)

@tranphankhai I could if I just take a little more time to make it. Good thought. But I would probably replace the Orgain shake with the other one bc it seems too much to have 2 protein shakes at one meal

@fineandfaith I’m T2D & on a weight loss diet rn too. I lost 60 lbs in 2023 & got my A1c to normal 4.4.

I use a high protein diet approach so. To lose bodyfat on a recomp diet, the higher protein will conserve/build lean mass during bf loss.

1g/lbs of my ideal bodyweight:

Tofu, Tempeh, Seitan & Pea protein isolate supplement (unflavored)

40g carbs max/NET 20/30g. (Green leafy & cauliflower)

60g fat max (NO seed oils) just olive, coconut & avocado

The high protein keeps me full.

I do 16.8, 2 meals a day & a protein shake before bed

This shld help you drop excess bodyfat fairly easily

What kind of exercise program are you on rn?

@anniejey Your carbs are way lower than mine, well it all seems lower except maybe the protein. May I ask what calories you shoot for? It seems like my calories require me to have higher carbs and fat but idk lol.

My current exercise routine is: Monday- full body group class plus lower body strength training (2 hours) Tuesday- lower body strength training (1 hour) Wednesday- upper body (1 hr) Thursday- HIIT (45-60 min) Friday- Back and legs (2 hours) Saturday- full body group exercise class (1 hr) and sometimes 1 hour of strength training Sunday- rest

@fineandfaith Yes, rember I hv T2D, lost 60 lbs but still hv 90 more lbs to lose so I keep carbs extra low to force fat burning & adaptation. Also protein high especially since with a lot of weight loss I need to keep as much muscle as possible.

Since you probs aren’t similar situation, anything under 50 carbs would probs keep you in fat burning mode, imo.

I would lower the carbs for first week or 2 for you to get the process going then adjust carbs up to meet your energy needs

I follow Dr Ted Naiman’s P:E Diet protocols. He sets his protein 1g per lbs, then his NET CARBS (total carbs -fiber) + FATS lower than the protein amt

He is 5’ 9”
Eats 200g protein
100g carbs
100g fats

to maintain his weight

So if you want to lose bf, if you lower either/or carb or fat, you can control the loss

(Currently, I set my total calories to 1440-1600 depending on if I work out days)

I put your stats into the tdee calculator that I use:

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=34&lbs=130&in=66&act=1.55&bf=22&f=2

Looks like, MACRONUTIRIENTS>CUTTING>MODERATE CARB profile (40/35/35)
would work well for you based on your exercise:

1613 kcal

P -121

C 141

F 63

Your carbs are way lower than mine, well it all seems lower except maybe the protein. May I ask what calories you shoot for? It seems like my calories require me to have higher carbs and fat but idk lol.

My current exercise routine is:
Monday- full body group class plus lower body strength training (2 hours)
Tuesday- lower body strength training (1 hour)
Wednesday- upper body (1 hr)
Thursday- HIIT (45-60 min)
Friday- Back and legs (2 hours)
Saturday- full body group exercise class (1 hr) and sometimes 1 hour of strength training
Sunday- rest