Fitness tips - plateau

Fitness tips - plateau

Hello,

Wondering if someone might be able to make some suggestions on how to reach my next set of goals with weight loss and toning up / building muscle.

M46 / 179cm / 72kg

Over the past 4 years I’ve gradually lost 20kg via diet and exercise but I’ve plateaued at 72kg and I’m not sure what to do next.

Exercise Routine

Gym x 5 days per week - cardio and diff muscle group each day

Club boxing / HIIT x 1 day per week

700 - 1000 active calories burned per day

12,000-15,000 steps per day

DIET

Breakfast

3 shots espresso with 1 cup oat milk

Protein smoothie with 1 banana 1/2 cup blueberries and 1 ts peanut butter (3 scoops powder)

SNACK

Handful peanuts or edamame or carrots wirt hummus

LUNCH

200 grams tofu

DINNER

Veggie Stir Fry or similar

Thanks in advance

@depthofinnocence After a weight loss phase you need to actually do a maintenance phase to let your body and brain adjust to a new lower normal weight. Usually after 4 weeks of maintaining weight you can start to diet down again, so plateaus are normal. Just embrace it as a break and preparation for your next cut.

Once the cut begins again in earnest you’ll have to cut out/replace items until you start seeing a weekly average loss.

You may also consider working out LESS as strength training could be over increasing your appetite.

In general though you want to have high protein, fiber, and water intake, good sleep, low stress, and at least an hour so of zone 2 cardio a week. Do all those things and you’ll be losing more fat before you know it.

@bigd75 I’m actually not sure how to determine this. Or what my maintenance ambit should be.

I thought that if I’m just in a calorie deficit then I should lose the weight.

@depthofinnocence Eventually your body goes into starvation mode if the deficit is too big. And you need a refeed week to reset cortisol and stuff. The refeed week would be slightly above maintenance by like 250, so start there with a calorie maintenance calculator