[FORM CHECK] Squats, deadlift, OHP

@michael005 You're setting up a little too low on the deadlift, partly because you're using 35 lb. plates, which are generally a little smaller than 45 lb. plates. Full sized plates will leave the bar a little higher. Then you should set up so that the bar is over your midfoot, and don't push it further forward with your shins. Squeeze your chest up better and put the bar down by pushing your butt back first so it doesn't swing out around your knees.

Squeeze your abs and glutes when your press to avoid lumbar hyperextension. Layback needs to come from the hips, not the lower back, and the bar path should be straight up and down while the torso moves; the bar shouldn't go backwards.

@hope79 Yeah I know I'm lifting at a deficit, but I'm so close to using the 45lbs that I'm not going to fuss over it too much. Hopefully with slightly more strength, the placement of the bar will correct itself.

I also saw your suggestion for weightlifting shoes and I'm seriously considering it, especially if I keep going (which I fully intend to). I've been using a pair of old Chucks, and I really need to upgrade shoes anyway.

Thanks!

@michael005 For your OHP, focus on squeezing the living daylights out of your glutes and core to brace your lower back. That arch is going to be problematic down the line. Also, your elbows look like they're flaring out a bit, but it's tough to see from the side. What's your grip width like?

Squats: along with the "butt wink", which will either be improved by mobility work or you're genetically kind of screwed (me too). If it's the latter, don't worry too much about it, just keep your core and hammies tight and chest up. Slow down your descent a little...looks like you're divebombing into it and bouncing hard through your knees.

Deadlift wouldn't load for me. All in all, nice going! Keep after it and it'll all come together nicely.

@dawn16 I'm following the grip width of making my forearms perpendicular to the ground at the bottom of the OHP, ever so slightly shoulder width apart. I have a feeling I'm not activating my glutes enough, so thanks for the tidbit!

I've been trying to go down on a 3 count, but maybe I need to slow down my counting :)

Thank you!

@michael005 Can't argue with that grip; might want to video from the front or back just to see if you're flaring. If you are, just think about keeping your elbows tucked closer to your body, and if not, then totally ignore this! My OHP looked a lot like yours not too long ago and I found that just squeezing like my water broke and the baby is crowning in the middle of Fenway Park made a world of difference.

If you don't feel like you're rushing it, then it's probably fine! But by my count, your hips are already coming forward and you're halfway up when I get to 3. Try slowing it down a smidge, and use that time to think about keeping everything tight. It'll be harder for awhile, but really helps fire the mind-muscle connection for a solid lift.

@michael005 No one caught this: in your deadlifts you're maneuvering around your knees. Don't do this. Keep your shins perpendicular to the ground. Get your knees behind the bar. When you maneuver around the knees you're putting yourself in a compromising back position. Because, physics yo.

@michael005 If you look at your video, at :10 seconds in you're about to start your deadlift. If you look at your knees, they're really far over the bar. If you can imagine getting in that position and then having someone push your knees so they're behind the bar instead of over/infront of it that will make your shins perpendicular. Here's a good pic of what I'm trying to say. Make sense?

Edit: If you weren't maneuvering around your knees on the way up and back down, I wouldn't have suggested the perpendicular positioning. Some people can deadlift from your starting position without a problem but since it's compromising your good position I wanted to point that out.

@dawn16 Oooh I get it! I might not be able to do it exactly like that picture because of my calves, but I totally understand what you're saying now. It's almost like I have to box squat to get into position? Or at least think more about sitting back as opposed to centering over the bar.

I will keep that in mind. Thank you!

@michael005 Squats: I agree with other users- work on finding out the cause of the "butt wink". Everything else looks pretty good.

Deadlift: If I was to stand in front of you while you deadlift, I want to see the logo on your shirt. Keep your shoulders and back tight and that chest out.

OHP: Another user brought up the arch in the low back and I agree that should be addressed. It could be a core issue, as you said, and if it is you can learn how to brace your core to keep this from happening. It could also be a t-spine mobility issue, which I have been working on foreves. Unfortunately, this is stuff that takes some trial and error when figuring out.

Good luck and happy lifting!

@michael005 Ok, so I don't feel that I have the credentials to critique your form but I just wanted to say THANK YOU. You have changed my life. I don't know why I never thought to just take an extra bar over to that not-a-smith-machine-but-just-as-worthless thing before when the squat rack is busy! Barely anyone ever uses it either so I'll likely not have to wait again. Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

@needhisgrace Oh my goodness! I'm glad I can help!

It's the only "rack" at my gym, so I was just working with what I have! I throw the smith machine bar to the top of the opposite side that I'm working on because the stabilizing bars get in the way.

Expect to get some funny looks from the bros at the gym, but you do your thang, chica!

@michael005 For squats it looks like the bar is coming forward as you go down (could be the camera angle, but looking at your feet it looks like your weight slightly shifts ahead of midfoot). As you go down, think about stability and the weight always being over your midfoot or just behind midfoot and not shifting forward. Ideally the bar should move perfectly straight up and down. And buttwink as someone else said.

@michael005 Do you feel it in your lower back when you OHP? It looks like you're over arching your lower back to get the weight up, but it's also hard to tell from this video.

Also on deadlifts, your entire back appears to be quite rounded. Like /@pinkpater said, you want to keep your chest up, shoulder blades down and back.

@roger1234 I don't really feel it in my back, but I see what you're saying. I have a naturally prominent arch in my back but it looks like a core failure to me (correct me if you disagree). I will deload and reassess.

Thank you!

Back