Free standing pull up options

pazuzil

Hey guys!
I've recently transitioned from weights to calisthenics and I'm eager to bring my the gym closer to my bed.

Initially I figured I would simply wall mount a pull up bar but my walls cannot support this.
A doorway bar won't serve me for everything I need right now.

I have three options based on my location in the Netherlands:

Gravity fitness/pull up mate or a free standing power tower - it is my understanding these are very wobbly and subpar at my height 6"2.

Half rack - specifically I'm looking at this one
https://www.electronic-star.nl/Spor...8AkteD2kwaXR9NNMBPJJyz_rN2pK6uQxoCtjMQAvD_BwE

For the price it's cheaper than the tall pull up mate and with rings I could perform dips as well.
I could also eventually get a barbell for squats.
I do live in an apartment on the top floor but I wouldn't use it for heavy lifting, I doubt I'd go higher than 120 at home.

Last option would be a DIY free standing wooden pull up rack.

Out of the three which is most bang for buck and most reasonable for my settings (7th floor apartment)

Thanks!

@pazuzil You mentioned walls, but not ceiling. I installed a Rogue Ring Hanger in the ceiling for my rings, and have enough range of motion to do whatever on them, and it has zero profile in terms of floorspace, just take them down or clip them to a wall when you're not using them.

@nicaea_1q I'm worried about this because I believe it is drywall ceiling, but I'm assuming there's supports in the wall somewhere.

I'm gonna look it up because honestly this would be the best space wise.

@pazuzil Ceiling/floor joists are likely at least 2”x10” nominal solid untreated wood. If you can find the center and install 6” lag bolts, you will probably be safe. However, I am not a civil engineer, so do so at your own risk. Test it safely first.

@cindra OK this also sounds promising I'm looking into it, maybe just get a professional handyman to do it and cost wise it will still be cheaper than the rest

@pazuzil If it’s under a floor, most absolutely. If it’s a roof, it’s not rated as high.

Or run a stringer across a few studs in your wall and stick a pull-up bar on that. Like this but a 2x10 instead. https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-jammer-pull-up-bar

I have a rack like pictured and with 120kg it’s pretty stable, but not comparable to a wall-mount. I use it for kipping movements and have to limit the range of motion, but it’s fine for strict.

Edit: I see you’re in the Netherlands. I don’t think they use wooden framing there, or at least not always, so you might be needing a rack.

@pazuzil Of those, the 2nd one with like 40 kg weights on it to stabilize it.

Else, you might get a full cage, I don't remember the brand but I remember that "orange" brand that had quite good reviews here. Probably available in NL too.

Edit: mirafit was the brand.

@dad83 Yeah I'm also leaning towards the second one,
It can be bolted down so I thought maybe putting it on a wooden platform will help make it more stable? (not a lifting platform)

@pazuzil Go for the rack. The peace of mind the stability will provide will be very welcome. Plus add ons for squats will be easy and useful. Put some matting down so it doesn't scrape the floor and you're pretty much good to go with whatever you want.

@pazuzil I've got a pullup mate and I'm 6'4", 101kg roughly. it's not one piece so there's slight give, but it's not wobbly at all, at least not when youre hanging from it. If you want to muscle up then you might get a little wobble but for standard chin ups and pullups there's really nothing to worry about