Gastritis? Anyone here struggling with this?

karengodsgirlk2

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with gastritis or other similar conditions. My info" M/66, I work full time in a kitchen but will retire next year. Never been athletic, but have been doing home dumbbell/bodyweight workouts for the past 5 years. Did my first chin up 2 years ago, first pull up this spring.

Anyway, I developed gastritis a year ago and have struggled with eating since then. I work evenings and this means I currently eat a decent sized meal early afternoon, have to sit 1-1/2 to 2 hours to digest without flair-ups, pain and bloating, then go to work. I can only tolerate small snacks at work or the rest of the day (handful of nuts, yogurt, whey shake). Physical activity after eating triggers the gastritis (and working in a kitchen is definitely physical). I've dropped supplements except for a multivitamin and probiotics. No other vitamins, turmeric, nsaids, creatine etc..

I'm having trouble eating enough to work out and go to work. I thought my gastritis had cleared up a couple months ago and had been slowly expanding my food, but had another flair-up at work 2 nights ago. It's all very discouraging.

Right now my focus has to be on recovering my stomach. Despite all that I think I've made some small progress in the past year.

@karengodsgirlk2 I'd get medical help. If possible, get a upper endoscopy which will confirm whether ya have GERD (acid reflux) etc. And treatment based on findings (usually ppis) . I wouldn't just take random WebMD advise....see a real doc..

@karengodsgirlk2 Have you tried any sort of elimination diet to see if that would help things?

I'm a big advocate for a low FODMAP diet. There are apps to help with figuring out what to avoid and what is considered safe. It was very effective for me about 5 years ago. I do still need to stick with it but can eat some of the high FODMAPS as long as it's in moderation.

Also, I started taking collagen and it really seems to help my gut.

@joshuathree Yes I have restricted my diet and it's working pretty well. I've spent a lot of time over at r/gastritis have a pretty good handle on the situation, especially compared to many there. Since most of the people over there don't work out I was hoping to get advice from older individuals who are trying to maintain a fitness program while healing. A lot of people there have trouble maintaining body weight and muscle mass. A difficulty when daily eating is a problem.