Get in better shape without losing weight?

aleethia

Hi everyone,

I’m new to taking fitness seriously. I’d like to build a little bit of muscle and not lose much weight in that process and I’m not sure where to start.

F, age 32, 5’4” and about 110-115lbs.

I’m naturally thin and what I’d call “skinny fat”- not much muscle there. I’d like to start working out, i feel like I need to do a little cardio as I’m a former smoker, but I really do not want to lose weight. I’d like to put on 10-15 lbs instead.

I do some (easier) hiking on a fairly regular basis in the warmer months but I’d like to end up able to comfortably do some more difficult hiking and generally look more fit.

Any tips welcome, thank you!

ETA: I eat fairly healthily and eat plant based probably 5/7 days a week, with lots of carbs and protein on the days that I go without meat.

@aleethia Find out your daily caloric need using an online calculator. Eat 300-500 more calories a day than that, ensuring you're getting enough protein.

Get on a proper lifting program, such as one found at

/r/fitness

Or /r/xxfitness (female fitness sub)

@aleethia Weightlifting, particularly squats and deadlifts and hip thrusts, makes your whole body stronger and really improves running and hiking performance. Personally with hiking I find the only real way to train is to hike, you can wear a heavy pack and walk up hills if you don't have trails right close to home.

If you have a scale, weighing yourself regularly will keep you honest. If you're just trying to get stronger and perform better, you don't need to count calories right off the bat. If you're losing weight, eat more. If you're gaining weight but pants still fit great, you're building muscle.

@aleethia I’m on a similar journey. I started at 117 lbs at 5’8” and am now closer to 130. My waist size hasn’t changed and I do believe most of the weight I’ve put on is lean muscle with very little fat. You can see progress pics in my profile. It has been an excruciatingly slow process.

The first half of the key is a consistent strength training routine that you stick to for years — not weeks or months, but years. You’ll likely cycle through a few different programs and you may find you like some better than others. But the important things are structure, progressive overload, and consistency over a long period of time. I lift 4-5 days a week, every week, with very very few exceptions.

The second half is diet. I saw almost no visible gains despite regular strength training until I adjusted my diet. I weigh my proteins to ensure I’m getting enough (0.8g per pound of body weight, per day), and count my calories to make sure I’m in a surplus. I don’t count other macros besides protein. I recommend calculating your TDEE and then adding 200 cals per day to start.

Good luck!

@aleethia More calories in the form of lean protein like chicken or fish, and a lifting program that includes squats and dumbbell exercises. Just depends on how muscular you want to look.

As for hiking, that’s great cardio. But I would also include some zone 2 cardio once or twice a week as well. Other than that just train yourself to eat clean, but don’t completely deprive yourself of something you love on occasion. But it sounds like you’re already good about your dieting. Hope this helps🤘🏼

@aleethia No worries, you could always start simple with body weight squats and/or kettlebell (goblet) squats. Don’t be deterred that you had a couple rugrats, you’ve got this!💪🏼