Get-up partial reps to hand: is push important?

dassark

I've been working on this program for the past weeks and it's going quite well: https://www.strongfirst.com/minimalist-kettlebell-training-for-maximal-returns-in-bjj/

on the get-up heavy days, the program asks for a partial to elbow or hand, I do the hand one.

I was looking to this video on the technique, and I've noticed that Mark spends particular time in keeping the hand vertical and do the initial push of the KB (the very first movement he makes):

On different videos from Strong First (e.g.
) I' don't see that initial push from the chest step (admittedly, those two videos have very significant differences in the weight of the KB).

How the initial push is important? Is that something that is worth spending time practicing and perfecting it? I admit that I'm not very good at that initial part as I've never practiced that specific step when I was doing S&S. And if there are good benefits in practicing it, I'm more than happy to spend extra time on that specific step (especially on light days) to get better at it.

I'm currently using a 60 pounds KB for the heavy days.

@dassark I’ve been doing S&S since October 2022, finally hit Timeless Simple a few weeks ago. For me the initial push might be the most important part of the movement because once the weights get heavy, it only works if you’re properly packing your shoulders and using your breath to create intra-abdominal tension. Those two things are the foundation of every other benefit you get from TGUs.

@thecross3 Congrats on reaching your goal!!

I reached Timeless simple in October last year before switching to a different program but I've never focused on the initial push and, because I do not use competition KBs, my 60 pounds cast iron KB is little bit hard to balance.

But I hear you and I think you have a good point: I will work on my initial push form and technique on my medium and low days.

@dassark Your assessment of the weight differences is correct. The SF video has a kb that's twice the weight of Mark's, and it's also a larger diameter since it's a cast iron. This means the center of mass is different than a smaller (weight and size) comp bell. His arm will no longer be perfectly vertical.

Also, with heavy getups, I'm not working on my floor press, I'm working on my getup: so I will use both hands to press the bell from chest. I might even spend some time adjusting the big bell on my forearm with my offhand so it's stable and (reasonably) comfortable.

But good job doing partial getups -- it's the best way to get better at getups that no one seems to talk about.