Help a beginner figure out how the workout works

derek1933

Hi guys! I live in a country where CrossFit is very underdeveloped, so I can't just go to the CrossFit gym and ask all my questions. But I would like to start doing this kind of training. So, I found a workout on the Internet that completely suited me, but I didn’t quite understand how it works. Could you, who is engaged in crossfit, explain to me, as a beginner, what's what?

So, here is the workout itself, labeled "Day 1":

GLUTES, QUADS AND HAMSTRINGS

(SUPERSET 1)

• Dumbbell Bulgarian split squat 3 x 10

• Dumbbell staggered stance hip thrust 3 x 10

(SUPERSET 2)

• Kettlebell Romanian deadlift 3x10

• Dumbbell sumo squat 3 x 10

(GIANT SET)

• Dumbbell curtsy step up 3 x 8

• Stability ball hamstring curls 3 x 10

• Lying banded glute lifts 3 x 15

• Reverse duck walks 3 x 10

And that's actually my question: should I perform these supersets one after another? That is, after completing the first superset, I should take a break and move on to the next one? Or in this case, supersets 1 and 2 and the giant set are examples of what I can choose for myself and I should choose only one thing?

@derek1933 Always glad to help a beginner. For starters, this is not at all a CrossFit workout, this is an accessory workout. Don’t get me wrong these are all great moves, but they isolate body part instead of use the body as a unit.
CrossFit is Consatantly varied Functional movements done at High Intensity.

Try this
4 rounds for time (finish as fast as you can with good form and safely)
100’ walking lunges (50’ feet out and back)
10 push-ups
20 sit-ups

Should take about 8 minutes but could take much longer depending on your level of fitness

@finallytrulyalive Thank you for explaining the essence and for showing this workout. I have only one question left: So all these exercises you mentioned (walking lunges, push-ups and sit-ups) performed one after the other without rest count as one round? Then how much break is allowed between rounds and is it allowed at all?

@derek1933 In the workout described, everything is to be performed one after another without any built-in rest. Now, if you're completely out of breath, you can break to catch your breath, but the idea is you should pace yourself so that you can continue working continuously as fast as possible.

Nearly every CrossFit workout is designed with a time component. It is either a set amount of work done as quickly as possible (this could be done in rounds, such as the workout described above, or just one round, such as 100 burpees done as fast as possible), or it is a pre-set amount of time and your goal is to do as much work as possible in that amount of time, called an AMRAP (As Many Rounds/Reps As Possible). For example: 10 minutes to do 20 air squats and 10 push-ups; each time you complete 20 air squats and 10 push-ups counts as one round, and then you immediately start the next round and see how many rounds you can complete in 10 minutes.

The goal for both of these is that you can quantify your performance on any given day: you were either able to do a specific workout in XX minutes, or you were able to do XX amount of rounds in a given time. That way, if/when you re-do that workout, you can compare your performance to last time. It also allows you to compare your performance to other people.