help! how do i start learning sports with a goal to join a team? qc area

beloved_prophet

hi, i’m 22F with no sporty gene in my body bilang 24/7 aral mode lang all my life. nakakamiss yung feeling na belong sa something relevant? lalo na towards wellness and healthy living. syempre physical, mental, and social health endeavor din talaga ang sports.

yung okay lang na hindi magaling sa umpisa pls hahaha effort and discipline muna ang maooffer ko. i go to the gym 3x a week cos of my pelvic/lower back ache (as per my PT) and then i do long walks on afternoons that i’m free. the factors that i consider in choosing a sport as a female college student would be (a) cost of learning/playing the sport long-term, (b) proximity to venue (e.g court, pool), c) woman-man ratio in the game, and (d) social environment (which i’m hoping ay safe at healthy).

i’m eyeing flag football? since i’m near sunken garden sa upd i think may org pa ata sa campus who can help me start and yey wala naman ata masyado gastos?

maybe swimming? not competitive pero matagal ko na rin gustong matuto lumangoy. dream summer school ko yon kaysa math summer camp hay. kaso ayun, hehe parang mahal ata swimming lessons. luckily may access ako sa pool nearby if ever naman ma-afford at matapos ko ang basic swimming lessons.

hmmm i wanted to start a cycling journey back home sa province. kaso ang scary naman dito sa metro manila? huhu

gusto ko rin sana dragon boat racing. kaso malayo from north? and somehow expensive? i really admire the camaraderie and discipline involved in this team sport.

for info, i have tried playing badminton, bowling, and handball as my PE courses haha. uneasy ako sa volleyball maybe bad school intramurals memories hahaha pls

are there any other sport you can suggest? or maybe sports group talaga na beginner-friendly at my age? maybe some advice also on how to pursue it?

thank you so much reading all this. i’m grateful and in hopes of hearing your advice and words of motivation! :)

@kenadi Yeah, this is a great suggestion OP as well as obstacle-course races in general.

Relatively easy for beginners but can be increasingly challenging the more competitive you want it to be. Also has a great community behind it with people at all levels of competition.

Check out Obstacle Central for a nice place to train.

@beloved_prophet It’s super fun!

The coaches there are really nice so don’t be afraid to go solo if you feel like it. You’ll also meet lots of good people there (groups usually) who’d gladly let you tag along with them if you’re new.

The first few times, the coaches can guide you through their beginner route but you can also do any of the obstacles on your own afterwards. There are also group training sessions you can sign up for.

Maybe see you around one of these days when I visit. Good luck and have fun!

@beloved_prophet Student ka ba libre table tennis sa gym... Or may mga org ng futsal naglalaro pag weekends or minsan gabi sa mga court ng maginhawa or pwede ka yata kumuha ng extra na p.e.? May kakilala akong naka siyam na p.e. siya cause why not daw

@beloved_prophet Dragon boat maganda. Yun ang first team sport ko. Ang pinakamahirap lang is waking up very early in the morning kasi usually mga 5:00 am start ng training. As for the equipments, provided naman siya ng team na pipiliin mo sa una. Nasa sayo na lang if gusto mo bumili ng sarili mong paddle :)

Back