Help Me Choose a Power Tower

jamess497

I have a power rack that I love and use daily. Now I want to purchase a power tower mainly for knee raises. Do you recommend this one or this one? Is there a better one available? I am 5' 9" and 230 lbs. so I need something sturdy that does not wobble.

@sanj79 I find leaning against the back rest of the power tower and isolating my abs to be less taxing on my lower back than doing knee raises hanging from my power rack.

@jamess497 Sounds like you might not be maintaining a hollow body position (ribs down, butt tucked) throughout the movement - which ends up taxing the lower back.

I currently have the ab straps to do hanging knee raises on my power rack. Here are the reasons I prefer to get a dedicated power tower rather than using the ab straps:
  • In my current condition, using the ab straps is very difficult. I appreciate being able to lean back on a power tower/ captain's chair. It removes some of the pain I feel in my lower back when doing knee raises.
  • In reality, seeing the power tower in the corner of my gym would encourage me to use it. Using too many attachments with my power rack is actually a turn off for me. Finding a way to store my ever-increasing number of attachments is challenging, and the setup and breakdown time can be annoying.

@jamess497 TIL those handles on my tower are for inverted rows LOL...thanks, OP : )

The one I have is very similar to the first one and I love it, although I am much lighter than you and I have questioned its stability even for me. I'd say go with something sturdier if you can.

@creativelady Yes, those handles are used for inverted rows and also for dips. :)

I am also concerned about the stability of both power towers and especially the first one due to some of the comments/reviews I've read. I believe I will now order the 2nd one. Thanks!

@jamess497 I'd recommend getting something you can hang off the rack if you already have a rack or pull-up bar.

You should be able to do raises hanging from a bar but you could get something like ab straps. Way cheaper then a power tower and takes up less space.

Like pretty much anything you are looking for dedicated equipment you should try and see what attachments you can get instead. Mileage may vary on compatibility.

@jamess497 Hollow body
Hollow body rocks
Pike compression
L SITS
Dragonflies
Manna.

Leg raises on rings
Leg raises on bars

Not sure why you need a power tower for body weight fitness / calisthenics.

Back