Help w Weightlifting

jasonavery08

Alright, (39M) and I’m 12 weeks in to Mike Matthew’s Bigger Leaner Stronger 5 day/wk lifting routine. I’ve previously done SL 5x5 and crossfit but really just been a glorified cardio bunny. Few things: how in the world are y’all getting 200g of protein a day? I’m eating three squares and a 3pm protein shake and it’s been tough for me to get to 150s. Also, I’m getting a good morning recovery smoothie, 2000ish cal/day, a fistful of vitamins and a gallon of water but should I add creatine? Lastly, I’ve been gloveless and without a weight belt and my deadlifts have been tough. When do y’all start going gloved or do I just need to do some forearm work?

@nrg23 Thx for the input. At 2200 I'm basically at maintenance. Been steady weight for the last year after a big weight loss phase in 2021. When I was at 2400 cal I was gaining a lot more fat than what I wanted so I was thinking of doing a 4 week mini-cut to lose some belly fat. When I go back to try and do a lean bulk do I shoot for 2400 or more in your opinion?

@jasonavery08 What I’m saying is do you think you are at over 200lbs of lean muscle mass that you are trying to keep while dieting down at 2000 calories?

I don’t know you body weight or height or composition

I can tell you that I hit like 180-200g of protein a day at 3200-3500 calories at around 208-220lbs body weight and I am not that lean

@jasonavery08 You probably don’t need that much protein

https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Personally, I enjoy higher protein foods. They’re tasty and don’t make me feel gross after I eat them. Maybe that’s just because I’ve become accustomed to a higher protein intake over the course of 20 plus years. It may just be an issue of finding higher protein foods/preparations you enjoy.

You don’t want or need gloves. Gloves make lifting more difficult as there is a layer of fabric between your hand and the bar. Use chalk (or liquid chalk), as your gym permits, or get straps. Also, look into mixed grip and/or hook grip. Belts are very helpful but not necessary.

@dawn16 Thanks for your reply. There’s def a lot of online info that’s contradictory. I’m shooting for a full serving of meat or protein rich foods every meal. Really my goal is putting on muscle atm. It’s been interesting to see everyone’s responses. I’m hitting a point where I need wraps to finish. I’ll try it out. Thx for the reply.

@jasonavery08 You should add creatine. Studies have shown it to be safe and effective. You don’t need to go through a loading phase or anything, just add a scoop to your smoothie every day.

I recommend straps for deadlifts. Lift without straps until your grip start to give out, then use the straps to finish your sets. Your grip strength will increase in time.

@jasonavery08 Do you do any snacking between meals? If you get 40g protein in per meal and snack session, you can get to 200g pretty easily. I like to drink fairlife protein drinks when I need a lactose-free protein boost!

I def try to get a full serving of protein every meal. And I’m only currently snacking at 3pm and it’s usually a builder bar or something w 20-30g. I’ll try and up my protein intake for each meal. Thx for the advice.

@jasonavery08 You didn’t provide your weight and BF% estimate, so it’s kinda hard to judge how much protein you need. I’ve found that being super careful about protein numbers is really only needed if you’re at a deficit. If you’re maintaining, even 0.6g per lean body mass lbs daily is enough to recover and make some slow gains. But, if your goal is to gain muscle and strength, you need to eat at a surplus (doesn’t have to be crazy) and aim for 0.8g protein per lean body mass lbs. If you want to cut weight, you’re basically starving yourself, so getting 1g per lean body mass labs is best to stave off as much muscle loss as possible.

For the gloves, they aren’t going to make your grip stronger for the heavier deads. They will likely protect your hands from callouses, which might be a priority for you, but you won’t be able to lift more with them. Straps or switch grip or hook grip will help you lift heavy deads. For the belt, it does help you stabilize your core during heavy squats and deads. I like to use a belt when squatting above my body weight and when deadlifting above three plates/315lbs.