Help with elite level comp weight cuts! What do you know about water loading to make a weight class in a sport??

dfb

So I've qualified for the Official Strongman Games u80kg this year in November, I'm super happy- but for the first time I'm researching how to cut as most athletes competing at this level weigh 90kg most of the time and cut down to 80 for weigh in before refeeding and rehydrating for the comp. These methods are commonly used in combat sports with 24hr weigh ins, but I'm not certain of how safe or effective they are.

My questions are: 1) Does this enhance performance? I.e do the benefits outweight the risks?

There seems to be conflicting evidence such as https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4663/7/5/123/htm

and https://www.researchgate.net/profil...anipulate-Body-Mass-2426-Board-8-June-2-9.pdf

2) The common method seems to be to load up on water and sodium and then one day prior to weigh in cut water and carbs and fibre out before weighing in dehydrated, then refeeding on carbs and electrolytes/water, are there other ways of doing this or do I have any other options? (i.e a cut prior to comp with calorie restriction etc. however keep in mind I'll be maxing out and not ideally wanting to be in a caloric deficit in this training period prior to the comp)

3) Do you have experience with this and if so what do you recommend? Is what I've described consistent with what you have done?

Additionally I'll have to fly over to the Florida from Australia so water loading on a plane might be tricky.....

I'm happy to answer q's etc. on another post if people have them but this is me reaching out to you guys as it's defiantly a fish out of water moment and step up for me.

@dfb I would get a coach that is versed in the particulars, personally. If you are going to cut for a competition, best do it under well seasoned and informed eyes.

@dfb Unless you're paid to compete who cares? Can anyone in the low weight classes even get some sponsorship deal? Even if they did, wouldn't the pay be very small since it's such a niche thing?

@atlas2023 Playing sports for enjoyment is fine. Doing something dangerous for a shitty plastic award in a niche sport that nobody cares about is just dumb imo.