How do I have productive weightlifting sessions when it's my C priority activity?

jeanjason0209

Background: I got consistent with lifting last year and WHOA it's been eye-opening. I recently hit a 1.5x bodyweight deadlift, 1x squat, over 2x hip thrust, and am closing in on a 1x bench (edit: all for 4-5 reps). I know those are novice numbers but like I couldn't do any of the exercises with an empty bar when I started! I was someone who was active and "fit" but really objectively pretty weak with all kinds of janky imbalances and movement patterns, and it's improved my life in every single way to gain a level of baseline strength. I'm about to turn 40 and am pretty compact, 5'2" and about 105-110. I focus a lot on excellent form and trying really hard.

The thing is lifting was always supposed to be a complement to my main activity, which is rock climbing. I'm a full-time climbing guide and am in to long alpine days and big mountain adventures in my spare time. I wanted to get stronger to move better on the wall, but also to be stronger for long steep approaches with a heavy pack, to make hauling less taxing, increase my overall work capacity, and generally move faster/perform better/be more resilient in big terrain.

I also started trail running again this year and aw man I had forgotten that I looooooove it. I have no specific performance goals around it but am currently dedicating about 4 hours a week to it and want to train for a half this fall. Most of my running right now is easy base-building but it does take time and has a recovery demand.

Somewhere along the way, lifting became A Thing on its own for me. But much as I love it, I'm coming to the conclusion that I can't really do three Things well all at the same time and think that as rock season ramps up I need to scale weightlifting back to focus on maintaining my current levels of strength and preventing injury rather than trying to get stronger all the time. How do I think about and execute this? How much is enough to maintain - could I do one longish session a week that covers everything? Which exercises will give me the most bang for my buck to get it down to maybe a 90 minute session? Should I change my nutrition (currently eating at a very slight surplus)? Bonus question: Does it make sense to think about a yearly cycle here given the seasonality of my work - focus on making progress in the gym in the off-season and transition to maintenance spring/summer/fall?

Here is my current program, which I do in 2-3 sessions a week alternating days. I've been trying to train for function and max strength, not growth; all my progress has come with minimal size changes though I've gained a couple pounds slowly and leaned the hell out. I also get a lot of extra pull stimulus from climbing (2-3 training sessions a week plus workdays, though generally the climbing I do for work is more like low aerobic activity).

DAY 1: Push + Hinge
  • Bench: 2-3 warmup sets, 2-3 sets x max 5 reps- Deadlift: 2-3 warmup sets, 2-3 sets x max 5 reps
  • Overhead barbell press: 1 warmup set, 2-3 sets x max 5 reps
  • Box jump variations: 3 sets x 8
  • Superset:
    • Bulgarian Split Squats: 1 bodyweight set, 2-3 sets x max 6 reps
    • Inverted Rows: 1 bodyweight sets, 2-3 sets x max 6 reps
DAY 2: Squat + Pull
  • Back Squat: 2-3 warmup sets, 2-3 sets x max 5 reps
  • Weighted Pull Ups: 1 warmup set, 2-3 sets x max 5 reps
  • Overhead barbell press: 1 warmup set, 2-3 sets x max 5 reps
  • Hip Thrust: 1 warmup set, 2-3 sets x max 5 reps
  • Superset:
    • Weighted Step Ups: 1 bodyweight set, 2-3 sets x max 6 reps
    • Tricep Dips: 1 bodyweight sets, 2-3 sets x max 6 reps

@jeanjason0209 Oh hey! I’m formerly of the guiding world and mostly wanted to say that you are awesome! Oh and have you read Training for the New Alpinism? Or looked into the Uphill Athlete training plans? I think adding bulk via weightlifting is counter productive to long days in the mountains because you have to carry that extra weight on your body. I’m trying to find the balance myself because I love lifting heavy stuff at the gym, too!

@cssml Guide high five!

TFTNA totally rocked my world, I actually got back in to running because of it. I ran some of the tests and discovered I was in horrible aerobic shape despite being “fit” - after doing a long block of seriously boring zone 2 training my steady-state aerobic fitness is SO much better and literally everything feels easier. My goal was to arrive fresher at the climb after a long steep approach and it totally worked - I do a mix of trail running and hiking with a heavy pack on easy days and ugh I love it all more than I ever thought I would haha.

I was one of those super tiny people who could climb reasonably hard bc of flexibility and strong fingers and was pretty skeptical about putting on any muscle, but realistically I weighed like 95-100lbs and had no stamina to keep up on a long alpine day. I couldn’t share the load fairly, was cold all the time, got hurt constantly, and was just objectively super weak in functional strength off the wall…i haven’t been chasing muscle growth so much as just establishing some baseline strength haha. I climb harder now that I can actually engage my back and use my posterior chain, and don’t get injured as much despite putting on a couple pounds - and I can hike for an hour with a 30lb pack on and not feel wrecked. It’s definitely a balance but overall weightlifting has been a super positive experience for me!

It’s been interesting to try to focus my training on max strength while minimizing growth when all the current advice seems to be focused on GETTING THEM BOOTY GAINS etc. Super interested in other people’s experience with this! I follow the TFTNA suggestions for strength and try to lift for max 5 reps. Eating at maintenance or a VERY slight surplus. I’ve gained like 5ish lbs but gotten visibly leaner and WAY stronger. OH and my period came back. It’s all a trade off but the right approach for me I think. How do you find the right balance?

@jeanjason0209 I’m so psyched to hear that all the long, easy work paid off for you! And that you are feeling strong from your weight work! And your periods came back! I am so, so happy for you and I don’t even know you (or maybe I do, ha ha)

I’m coming back from a bad ski accident last spring and I’ve been lifting as part of my PT program. I’ve become so much stronger but I’m going to transition back to long and easy aerobic training now that my legs are feeling good again. Also my butt has grown like 30% in size since I started lifting two months ago and now my non stretchy pants don’t fit! No more booty gains for me, please, ha ha

@jeanjason0209 If weights are what you want to do, I really think 2 shorter sessions are more efficient than one longer one. But I have another suggestion for functional strength, the kind that will assist in climbing: don't overlook yoga. You'd be surprised how much strength you can build once you get past basic levels (look up crow pose. I could hold this for less than 30 seconds after 3 years of regular practise. It's hard!). But it's also really good for stability and conscious control of your body.

@agapebondservant Yoga!!! I do a short practice pretty regularly as part of daily mobility/antagonist stuff but I don’t think of it as exercise/training. But i would love to bring back in more athletic postures in a more vigorous flow, bodyweight options are helpful for me in season since getting to the gym is not always possible. Thanks for the reminder!

@jeanjason0209 When I did the 3-day full body split from A Workout Routine , I was done in 30 minutes and still had moderate progress in gaining strength. With training as priority C, I imagine you can still see results with a greatly simplified, streamlined program that takes less of your time and attention.

@emily00025 Yes! My current schedule allows for quick gym pop-ins so I have a simple UB/LB split program I developed together with a trainer. It incorporates physical therapy stuff too. I can get it done in 40 minutes. Allows me time and energy to bike and play basketball which are my current A and B sports, and I still really enjoy lifting.

@jeanjason0209 I run the Juggernaut program by Chad Wesley Smith for this reason. It is meant to complement althletes main training programs. My only warning is to not run it at max-max right away. It is a lot of volume at first! It is more days a week than you currently do, but shorter sessions and simpler tracking. There are some excellent spreadsheets floating around.

@winlifeoc This is super helpful! I see a lot of different options on their site - is Sports Performance 1:1 https://www.jtsstrength.com/product/sports-performance-coaching/ what you did? Or was it a pre-made program?

This is making me think I should maybe look into trainers who focus on training for climbing for the most relevant/practical functional advice. They tend to have some body size/weight focus that I don’t find totally helpful though, weightlifting got me AWAY from all that. It’s good to have a variety of perspectives, thank you for the recommendation!

@jeanjason0209 I run the regular Juggernaut 2.0 program from the book. He has some good videos explaining the training as well. It is a cyclical periodization program, which really helps me with avoiding over training, so I can make progress without wrecking me for other activities.

Back