How does this routine look for just starting out?

keohay

Hi! I am F 5’4 and 135lb I am currently going to the gym twice a week but looking to increase this to gain muscle mass particularly in my arms and back so I’ve come up with a new routine. I read through multiple articles and got some good advice I was just wondering if I could get some more if possible. Here is the routine I have planned out:

Monday: Cardio, 45 minutes. I put the incline at 12 at 3mph. Bicep curls 3 sets of 8 reps

Wednesday: Working on arms and back. Bicep curls 4 sets of 8 reps gradually working up the weight. 3 sets of 8 reps using the lat pull down.

Friday: Cardio, 30 minutes. Repeat of the incline of 12 at 3mph because I enjoy it. Then working my core with 2 sets of 10 reps of incline leg raises.

Saturday: Working on arms and back. Bicep curls 4 sets of 8 reps gradually working up the weight. 3 sets of 8 reps using the lat pull down.

Does this routine look balanced? Do you think it’s enough to help gain muscle in my back and arms? I’m also looking to gain a more masculine build, do you think this routine achieves that? Furthermore, I am currently at college and limited to two small meal swipes a day, I don’t have access to a kitchen and I’m on medication that limits my appetite significantly. Is it possible to sub a third meal with store bought protein shakes instead for extra calories to build muscle mass? If so, what protein shakes do you suggest. Sorry for all the questions, and if my research wasn’t enough. I also posted this on another sub, but I’m also posting this here for more advice :)

@kamienzen I only added cardio because that’s what I’m used to doing. If I want to build muscle should I cut down on cardio? If so what should I replace it with? Should I limit cardio to one day instead? Sorry for all the questions but thanks for your response!

@kamienzen I’m not looking for weight loss right now, I’m looking to gain muscle in my arms and back. If I don’t really care about gaining muscle in my legs, so is the tread mill twice a week enough to work them? I also do 30 minute walks about everyday. Is a fully body routine necessary if I’m only looking to gain muscle in specific places?

@keohay It’s not necessary, but there is beauty in a balanced physique. IMO you’d benefit a lot from just one leg day a week, you don’t have to go crazy with it. Just make sure you hit your quads/hamstrings/calves/posterior chain so you don’t develop muscle imbalances (or look like a dude who obviously skips leg day).

Definitely rework you plan to include more compound movements for chest/shoulders/triceps and back/biceps, then finish your day with isolation stuff like curls or tricep extensions. I would look into some pre-written PPL (push/pull/legs) routines, and you can just do the leg days less frequently or not at all.

Edit: it’s fine to sub a meal with a shake in your case. I recommend whatever whey protein powder you like (I like having at least two flavors around to switch it up because the taste gets old real fast). You can also look into getting mass gainers, basically really calorie-heavy shakes that will help you gain weight and gain muscle. I’m around your height and weight and aim for 135g protein and 2000-2200cal a day to lean bulk. Your numbers will be different but probably not by much.

Back