How effective is volume periodization and how do you handle the timing requirements of high volume?

lupacexi

For the last couple of months, I have been adopting the learnings from Mike Israetel on volume periodization. For those who aren't aware of his methods, the underlying idea is that you periodize volume over a 4-10 week period. He recommends starting with a low yet effective volume and effort, ramping up volume and effort every week until you reach a level that is difficult to recover from before deloading and repeating. For example, you could start with 8 sets of biceps / week with 3 reps in reserve and then increase that volume to 20 sets / week with 0-1 reps in reserve over that 4-10 week period.

How effective is this approach to training compared to an approach where you keep volume constant somewhere in betweeen the minimum effective volume and the maximum recoverable volume (e.g. around 15 sets / week for biceps)?

If there are benefits to periodizing volume, how do you handle high volume without spending a ton of time in the gym? I am now nearing the end of my first periodization and the volume for most muscle groups is around 15-20 sets per week. The issue is that I am now in the gym 6 days a week for about 2 hours per workout.