How Should Crossfit Balance Its Two Competing Cultures?

As a frequent traveler for work, I've had the unique opportunity to drop into numerous Crossfit gyms and observe their distinct cultures. Broadly speaking, I've noticed two predominant cultures in the Crossfit world:
  1. RX Crossfit: This is the competitive side of Crossfit. Athletes here are encouraged to push their limits, aiming for feats like muscle-ups, pistol squats, and power cleans over 200 lbs. The atmosphere is often all about competition; members often participate in local comps, and there's a strong focus on the leaderboard. This culture seems to cater more to the under-40 crowd.
  2. Crossfit Is Medicine: This approach is about holistic fitness and well-being. The emphasis is on individual progress, perfecting form, and ensuring safety. Workouts are often modified based on one's capabilities (e.g. your RX is a percentage of your 1 RM), and there's a greater focus on self-improvement rather than external competition. This culture seems to resonate more with those over 40, beginners, or those wary of injuries.
While these are general observations (not to mention broad stereotypes!) I've found that the RX culture is more prevalent than the Medicine approach. This brings me to my main question: How should Crossfit position itself in 2023 to appeal to a broader audience and keep growing?

Corporate Crossfit often promotes the "Crossfit for everyone" mantra, showcasing senior athletes in its social media and emphasizing the medicinal benefits of Crossfit. This message has the potential to resonate with many, especially those who can afford $200+ memberships. However, there's a noticeable gap between this inclusive messaging and the dominant RX culture in many gyms.

So, what's the way forward? Should Crossfit strive for a harmonious blend of both cultures, believing that members often start at a beginner's pace and gradually embrace the competitive spirit? Or should there be a stronger emphasis on inclusivity, which can be as basic as showcasiing the beginner or intermediate versions over RX on Crossfit Corporate’s daily WODs.

This is a topic I've pondered for a while, but recent discussions on here highlighting Crossfit's stagnant growth are making it top of mind.

I'm curious: Do you think Crossfit should evolve its approach to be more in line with the "this is medicine" marketing message, or is the current dynamic what really defines it and leave well enough alone?

I kind of go back and forth in my head on this and I'm not sure what a less "RX-y" Crossfit would even look like, so curious what you all think.

@christhasrisen2000 They’re really not 2 different ideas but different spots on the same spectrum.

The goal is intensity. For some, you have to push further and harder to get the same intensity.
There’s also the growth aspect, where you learn new skills. Once a skill becomes easy then it’s time to progress it.

Lastly, competition is part of CrossFit. One of the most effective ways to get people to reach intensity is by timing them. Race the clock, race yourself, race a partner. “Men will die for points”- Greg Glassman

@marieeeee If Corporate used your post as a brief for their marketing messages, I think they'd wind up in a very good place.

The next step would be creating an overall vibe and ethos that matched the theory. where people understood that competing against your classmates was just one possible goal, not the only goal.

Again, I'm asking because Crossfit does not seem to be growing and so how do you create a vibe that doesn't seem to intimidating to so many people

@christhasrisen2000 I’ll be honest, I took that sentiment from the Level 1 manual.

I think that given the way CrossFit works with an affiliate model, it’s up to the coaches and owners to know the answers.
HQ can only require so much.

But I agree that communicating the “why” behind competition should be done at least as much as we teach the movements themselves.

@marieeeee
die for points

Also
Lie for points. Take steroids for points. Use small plates for points. Do bullshit deadlifts and clown HSPU for points. Use fake weights for points. Submit doctored video for points

Maybe we don’t need to hand out so many points.

@marieeeee Yeah, it’s nice when you can compete against your friends in the box maybe try a little bit harder and get a little extra something out of the workout

This could happen without the competition season

I said this the other day, CrossFit is like the affliction shirt of fitness. It was kind of cool when it came out, got really popular for a bit, and eventually was worn by only wannabes and try hards.

The games are the microphone for the wannabes and try hards. Send them in another direction, maybe spin that off with Castro, and spend 100% of corporate time energy and capital actually improving peoples health.

@christhasrisen2000 Yeah

It’s a thing. I’m bored watching football so here’s a long response.

One issue with the two cultures is that the coaching education is wildly inadequate for the competitive culture. If you’re trying to train elite athletes (there are none in CrossFit, possibly James Townsend was one - 435 power clean at 200BW that’s elite genetics), you can’t do it with the dogshit education infrastructure

In the absence of real coaching, would be competitors turn to…other competitors like HWPO and Mayhem. . But these guys are no better. Outside experts like hinshaw are giants in their sport but don’t understand shit about CF. His commentary at the Games was pure comedy.

Roman is really falling off the pace in this 5k. He’s in trouble

Finished 2nd. Moron

Now you get big names selling something different than HQ. That’s not gonna work.

So CF would really have to pull together some experts and rigorously assemble a coaching curriculum to serve that competitive scene. But if they did, it would become really apparent that some of the core teaching are utter dogshit.

And that cannot be allowed to happen.

There are many contradictions in place.

@thunderstruck What keeps you coming back then? Just glancing at your post history you appear to comment about 30 times a day in this sub and this sub only. So do you just love to hate it? What keeps CF such a central focus for you?

@dawn16 I’m heavily involved in the business of CF as a property owner. I figured out the economic dislocation that made CF profitable in 2010 or so, then figured out the cities where it works best. I started buying stuff when it was valued as post crisis lows. Cities with high concentrations of government workers produce economically sound gyms. Landlords who lost their ass during the crisis undervalued those assets and guess who was there? T Dot Fish was there with a wheelbarrow full of cash.

So yeah I might be the biggest CF landlord and as such I talk to a lot of gym owners. Read my posts about industrial space. Can’t take all the credit - I’m from a family that owns property in Florida going back to stuff given to Flagler himself. I’m not at all related to Flagler but my family did deals with them.

As such I’m helping gym owners - hundreds of them - increase their revenue per square foot through offering other services. I’m what HQ should be.

The top all time income earners from CF are almost certainly
  • 1) glassman
  • 2) ya boy toilet fish
  • 3) all the games winners combined.
In 10 years the top 2 will flip. Maybe sooner depends on the economy.

So that’s why. It’s my job. Kicking people in the ass is just for fun.

@thunderstruck Sorry I realize now my question was a little unclear. I more meant, what keeps you coming back to this sub? Judging by your account age it’s likely you’ve had to make multiple accounts dedicated solely to criticizing HQ. Almost like a mild obsession.

@dawn16 There’s no such thing as a mild obsession. Your turn to answer questions.

Do you rent space to any affiliates?

Do you own any commercial real estate?

What is your opinion on the trajectory of both the games and the affiliate net work over the last five years?

@christhasrisen2000 They’re more or less immune to economic conditions. They rarely lose their paycheck. Real estate is less susceptible to micro-economic forces. Florida has seen massive population growth. There is no boom in Tallahassee. Rent increases of 30% in 3 successive years are uncommon. Different story in Miami or Orlando.

In simple terms economic consistency

@pillze1524 I love in rosemary beach. It’s a small town. Come on over, ask anyone working in a store for Mr. Fish. Everyone knows who I am, it’s a small town. In fact let me know when you’re there I’ll meet you for lunch or something.

If you’re not willing to come see me, then shut up already, you obsessed clown.

@thunderstruck To be fair, what percentage of CrossFit members actually have (realistic) dreams of becoming professional Open athletes or even making it to semis?

In most gyms, being able to complete the workout seems to be the main goal.

Similarly, while people on this sub are very aware of the Games and Games athletes, that's not the case with most members and I have found that a sizable majority are not even aware the Games exist until the first Open comes up.

Beyond that, your average box needs to recruit a whole bunch of 40 year old white collar professionals who can easily pay $200/month for an unlimited membership, not a couple of guys who want to be the next Matt Fraser.

@christhasrisen2000 I disagree about #2 using Crossfit as medicine being only for “over 40, beginners, or those wary of injuries”. That doesn’t describe me at all, I’ve been going to CrossFit for 2.5 years, am under 40, and truly don’t care about competing. I love it because it is the best type of workout hands down to make me strong AF and be in the best shape I can be.