How to achieve my fitness goals

laoshan1

Hi everyone,

For years I have been in and out of the gym, but never went consistently due to exams, work etc.
For the past 6 weeks, I have signed up and gone every other day except 3 days for holiday - my most consistent streak ever.
My main goal was to increase strength - every time I went to the gym, my lifts went up, even if just by one increment for one set. I’d do 4 sets of 5-8 reps, and 8-9 exercises per workout, in an upper-lower split.
My bench, deadlift and squat all increased by at least 10kg each, but now, I have used up my “latent” strength, and the progress is becoming much slower. Sometimes it will even go down by a little bit.
Meanwhile, my weight has increased by 1-2kg (4-5lbs), but I cannot see any notable gains in my physique (I eat ~100g of protein a day, and a slight caloric surplus).

Overall, I am wondering what I need to do going forward. I want to gain strength, but I also want to be >70kg lean (150lbs). But I feel like my current program is not showing much results for either.

What do you think my best steps should be going forward?

Thanks in advance for any help, and I’m happy to give any extra info. Sorry for the long post!

Also, I have noticed I will sometimes sacrifice form in order to increase the weight by a bit. Should I reduce the weight to the point where I can feel the contraction and get full ROM, or max out in some cases? The weight is my biggest form of measuring my progress, so I was a bit scared of going down

@laoshan1 Form is more important than weight. Especially early on. You want to get the form down and also build your joints up so you don’t end up injuring yourself and not be able to work out at all. Trust the process and be patient. The gains will come. “Commitment to the process determines you’re progress”