How to CrossFit train w/o going to a box?

jackline

My current gym membership expires in October. I’m curious about CrossFit training, never done it, and wondering if it’s something I can start experimenting with at my current gym.

Are the WOD decided by each location or is it somehow posted and the same workout for everyone regardless?

I’m sure there must be home workouts and YouTube videos. Is there a good strategy for “trying it out” and prepping to join one in the future?

@jackline Start with main site programming. It’s free.

If you want more check out CrossFit linchpin, they have a free 30 trial to their online program.

If you want even more, you really need to see what works best for you based on your wants, goals, and needs.

I’ve heard great things about Street Parking, they also post tons on workouts on YouTube.

But I’d keep it simple and start with main site workouts on CrossFit.com.

@jackline Seconding Linchpin. Been with the program off and on for nearly three years, recommend it to anyone who will listen. Can't beat a 30 day trial either

@judykaye Thirding linchpin. I did them during the lockdown at a friend's recommendation. FWIW, she won the fitness award in Drill Sergeant school before she started crossfit and has only gotten fitter with Linchpin.

@jackline Check out Linchpin (https://crossfitlinchpin.com/).

WOD is free every day on instagram (last I knew). The Private Track is like $14/month or some such, and adds a video explanation of the reasoning behind each day’s WOD, as well as variations of the WOD based on fitness level, gear availability, etc. Also gets lots of good content from Pat Sherwood about programming in general, good ways to approach modulating how you approach each workout, etc. And the programming really works. You’ll get stronger, faster, and fitter following it.

@jackline You can technically just find some free online programming and follow that for a while. In my experience there is a lot of unwritten know how that needs to be taught in order to actually do it right and very few people manage to do it right on their own.

In particular the intensity, the correct scaling of weights and movements and the strict adherence to correct form and movement standards are easy to miss when just trying to do your own thing.

@jackline You can possibly do some of the programming but as others have said, without a coach you won't know how to perform or scale the movements or the weights to what is appropriate for your level of fitness and I really doubt a trainer at a regular gym will be able to help.

@jackline Can you drop weights overhead at your current gym? Platforms, bumper plates, etc? Linchpin has already been recommended (amazing program) but another free program I like is Pushjerk.com. I appreciate their consistent focus on strength and Olympic lifting with a couple conditioning days a week thrown in

Back