How to resolve tricep pain so I can manage the standing overhead press again?

idontknow07

For the last two months, I have pain in the upper area of the right arm. Therefore, exercises like the standing overhead press (just with the bar – no weights) or the mobility exercise band-over-and-body are painful.

It is annoying because I am eager to continue weight training but it’s challenging when simply lifting a few kilograms is painful.

My impression is that the painful muscle(s) is the triceps (I think the pain is lower down the arm than the deltoid area).

If I stand up and rotate the right arm from in front of me (from 0 degrees) to the right side, the pain starts when the arm is sticking out at the 3 o’clock position (at 90 degrees).I have tried various stretches but nothing seems to help.

I can do bicep exercises and deadlifts with no pain.I am over 40 so perhaps more prone to longer-term pain than younger people.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

@idontknow07 Two months is too long to ignore. Could be a tear, inflammation, or tendon issue. If you don't visit a physiotherapist, it could turn into a chronic injury and limit your for years. Spend the money, it's worth it.

@trustfall Thank you. I think I have put off dealing with this for too long.

Also, would you say a physiotherapist is a better option than a chiropractor? I don't really know what the difference between the two is.

@idontknow07 Happy to help man! And physiotherapist for sure. They'll diagnose the issue and give you a proper rehab program. Don't do pushing exercises until you know what's wrong.

@idontknow07 It sounds like a tear/tendonitis, you really should stop because you'll make it worse. I ruined my forearm via climbing, 3 years on and my right arm has never healed (like I can't even do a 10kg dumbbell curl, nevermind pull-ups, the best I can do is hammer curls and pullovers for 'back day'). I am currently in for a scan, though I've been advised it may be permanent. By contrast when I got tendonitis in the achilles I stopped, and 2 months later I could run again as if it had never occurred.

Whatever it is you will need to rest, minimum weeks, possibly months, and give it a chance to heal. When you come back in you should assume it is weaker, perhaps very weak, and build the strength back slowly. Very light weights, much lighter than you can lift. Always stop if there's pain of course.

Though as others have said, only a doctor can give you a real answer.

In the meantime note you may still be able to get a decent shoulder workout via lateral raises, or upright rows if you can do them... though if your tricep is triggered by even a few kg, it may transpire any kind of lift is too much (due to its role as a stabiliser). Probably there's little for your chest, perhaps cable flyes if you have access. Still plenty of opportunity to build epic legs via those deadlifts though!

I'm also from the UK btw, I didn't go to the doctors because I didn't think they would be interested but they were (although it was a source of daily discomfort I could easily live with it ultimately, thus I never went). Most GPs will have physios in on certain days, I'm sure you'd easily get an appointment.

@dawn16 Thank you for the fulsome response. I am sorry to hear about your injury.

Having done some research into tricep injuries, it does seem like it's tendonitis. There seems to be two schools of thought: do nothing or do some light stretching excercises that gently target the triceps. I don't really know which method is best. What is your opinion?

The tricep is, indeed, triggered by even a few kilograms.

I didn't do any exercise for most of the two months hoping the pain would improve but that hasn't happened.

I did not realise this but my GP practice does have what they call a "First Contact Physiotherapist". There is also a private "physical therapist" in my town.

I think we in the UK generally take the view that "daily discomfort" (as you put it) is just something to tolerate as long as its not too painful.

@idontknow07 Honestly I don't know how you should deal with it. I believe the idea is that the inflammation subsides and then you choose targeted exercises to build strength back in (not sure where all the strength went?). Physios in videos go really light, like bands, and build from there.

The consultant explained to me that tendon cannot heal like for like, if it tears the fix is scar tissue. This is what causes the long term problems. He thinks I have a build up of scar tissue on the join between tendon and muscle. So I would surmise, a small tear continually pushed would grow, and this leads in the end to a larger scar formation (and more problems with it). The last chance fix is to cut the scar tissue out and then hope the new scar proves a better fit. Perhaps a bit of light stretching could help the scar form better? Pure guesswork, I have no idea. It may be the case that not all tendonitis leads to scar formation.

Personally I'd try the GP if were you. I was referred to a private clinic in the end anyway, in an old mansion. I asked, and the clinic will perform surgery if that is required and his target is to get me back climbing (I did not even ask for that). So I believe treatment wise I'm going to have access to pretty much everything available, and they are aiming at a perfect outcome. It's not bad is it, but we shall see!

Yeah I think we're conditioned not to see the GP unless we think we're dying, it was refreshing and strangely surprising to realise the health service don't have the same view.